What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing Water

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Hey all
smile.gif

I am going to try storing up rain water for the summer so I don't run out. Now I know that drinking water can only last so long on the shelf but since I am not planning on drinking it I don't see any problems with it Ummm.... Does anybody else? It will be stored in a nice dark cool spot in case anybody cares about that.

I would think as long as you cap it off and don't allow it to just 'sit' you should be fine

Plus, I don't even think it should be an issue since it isn't for your consumption
smile.gif
The plants shouldn't mind.

But if you wanted to be safe I would cap it and keep it like 6months to a year.

Bottled water can last for years ( I think longer, but I remember seeing expiration dates on the side )

Collecting rain water is perfectly fine! it can keep for quite a long time! just store it with a closed lid in a cool shady spot. i do it all the time 5 gallon buckets at a time! comes in quite handy for lots of cp's!
wink.gif

I collect my rain water in 32-galloon garbage cans. When it is not raining, I place the lids on them. I scoop the water out with a bucket to water my outside plants. For my indoor plants, I siphon the water into the 2.5-gallon jugs - the distilled water containters that I've saved.

Ron

one trick I learned from my aquarium days is to put an air stone in the water. This creates an upwelling, and stirs the water constantly, keeps it fresher longer, and also helps keep pests and algaes from growing in the container.

Back