What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing Pollen in cryogenics

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had even done cryogenics before, and if so, I was thinking of someday getting one of these to store Nepenthes pollen in for long term use.
Ever since I saw Modern Marvels on cryogenics and their storing seeds, etc.... for future use, I got the Idea of using it for my neps pollen for when I make new Hybrids and species.
As we know pollen in regular cold storage doesn't last that long (Regular freezer/Refrigerator). Thats why I'm considering cryogenics, cause I have some really really rare and exotic hybrids. Plus some rare species.

I found this place on the net with affordable cryogenics freezers. Some are even under a 1000 dollars which is very reasonable.

http://www.labrepco.com/liquid_nitrogen_freezers_taylor_wharton.php

Please people come and chime in with your thoughts, etc....

Well, I've had this thread open in a tab for a while, wanting to see what people responded, but alas, no responses!

So, I have no experience (and next to no knowledge) on the subject, but I thought I'd chime in.

Are there any studies on the efficacy of seed freezing, specifically for the genera you're thinking of? Or are there broad cross-genera studies showing high efficacy across the board? I can look 'em up, but if you have suggestions, I'd love to take a look.

Also, do you have a way of getting LN2? I would imagine that even if you can get some, there'll be a pretty big overhead for the small amount you'd need. Do you have any idea of what your usage rates for a project like this would be? Even if you can get some, do you know the rules about storage? (I don't, I'm just curious what you've found. ;) )

Neet stuff.

Back