What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop picking carnivorous penis plants: Cambodian Ministry

• Thread starter Zo_ey
  • Start date
The Cambodian government recently asked people to stop picking a rare carnivorous plant that, when viewed from a certain angle, looks a lot like human male genitalia.

The Cambodian Ministry of Environment shared images on Facebook of three women snatching up pitcher plants and posing with them, and ministry officials requested that members of the public leave the rare plants alone, Cambodian news website the Khmer Times(opens in new tab) reported.

"What they are doing is wrong and please don’t do it again in the future!" The Ministry of Environment wrote on May 11 in the Facebook post(opens in new tab). "Thank you for loving natural resources, but don’t harvest so it goes to waste!"

As I've travelled in Cambodia, I'm just diverting from this conversation a little beyond to discuss an ecological concept. I have visited Angkor Wat temple complex and it is a mesmerizing sight. The Angkor Wat is the world's largest temple, the fascinating part is, the complex was meticulously built, abandoned, forgotten, and found. During the time when it was abandoned, nature took over the entire complex, and thick forests grew within, over, and around the place. Thus, we have an amazing confluence of man-made wonder and nature's replenished beauty.

Left to itself, nature has amazing healing capacities. In ecology, we have a concept - Climax Community. It is used to denote an ecosystem or community of plants, animals, and other living organisms that has achieved equilibrium or become stable.

With the massive destruction of pristine ecosystems, that's happening all over the world, I was just wondering what the world would be like if we deserted these places for nature to heal itself. How do you imagine a world in this situation? How do you see the development of carnivorous plants in such an event?

Back