What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stink bugs in pennsylvania

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have been seeing some brown, ugly insects, with a funk odor, hanging out. I fed a couple of them to my Neps. Here's an exerpt from an article I read to day about them:

The brown marmorated stink bug, a native of Asia, feeds on apples, peaches, and other fruit.

TREE fruit growers in Eastern Pennsylvania are facing a new insect pest that has the potential to spread to surrounding areas.

The brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys) was first identified in the U.S. in Allentown, PA, in late 1998. The insect resembled the multicolored Asian lady beetle, and further research revealed that it was actually a native of Asia, where it is a common pest in tree fruits and soybeans in China, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan. In 2001, the insect was officially identified by Cornell entomologist Richard Hoebeke as the brown marmorated stink bug.

Unique Features

H. halys eggs are elliptical and can be either light green or light yellow in color. They are deposited in a cluster of 20 to 30 eggs on the underside of leaves.

This species probably has a single generation per year in Pennsylvania. However, in parts of sub-tropical China, records indicate from four to possibly six generations per year. In Japan (and likely in Pennsylvania) adults emerge from overwintering during the beginning of June. They mate and lay eggs from June through August. The eggs hatch into small black and red nymphs that go through five molts during July and August. Adults begin to appear in mid August. In 2001 their flights in search of overwintering sites started in mid September and peaked during the first half of October.

if its native to asia then ASIAN pitcher plants must exept the stuff?

Back