What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sterilizing and reusing peat next year?

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
Any day now, When I Get Around To It, I'm going to put my VFTs and sarrs in the fridge bareroot for dormancy. Being a conservationist sort, I'm wondering if there's any merit in "recycling" the peat moss they're currently in. Could I clean and dry it out by baking it in the oven? I also have access to an autoclave at work...not my preferred option...I'd be hesitant to risk clogging the steam lines with loose peat, and it wouldn't dry it out...but failing all else, it's an option for me.

I don't have a yard or mulch pile or anything like that, so I couldn't recycle it that way.

Any thoughts or experiences? Would the benefits outweigh the risks? Thanks in advance!

i have kept it outside then reused it but maybe you could bake it ?

You could just put it in a big pot outside and when it thaws out in spring you could use it then.

Perhaps just washing the soil, to get rid of any salts or other contaminants from the soil would work. Have you seen this article?

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99738

I haven't tried using this procedure to refresh old soil, put perhaps it might work.

I really don't see the point in sterilizing the soil, microbes and other stuff are just going to find their way back in there.

I think that if you have leftover soil media in a container that has drainage, and allow sufficient water to pass through it, that would be adequate. I reuse media all the time.

You could put it in a microwavable container and nuke it in the microwave for a minute or so, just make sure it is moist so the soil steams. Then you can set it out to dry. I suggested it to a person on another forum for mold, and he said it worked.

I tried this for an aphid infestation and just wanted to report that it doesn't work. After 5 minutes of zapping aphids were still alive somehow...

Back