What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting my givings early this year

Your not kidding about growing fast.
Last weekend I placed it in my fish tank and it was 3/4" long. When I cleaned the tank this week it was 7" long with a 1" offshoot or two.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ April 02 2005,10:05)]Can this plant be propogated by seeds and what are turions exactly and how are they formed?
Yes but first you have to get it to flower.

Turions are a winter resting bud, they allow the plant to survive cold/freezing temps. They are basically just dense compact growth. If memeory serves me (and I might be remembering some other organism that does this) the cells if the tissue in the turions are saturated with glucose which keeps them from freezing.

Pyro,
Does this plant have to have a cold rest period?
I have it in my 40 gallon fish tank with a temp of 75 degrees. If so I guess I will have to take it out in the fall and place it outside to start forming it's turions and then move it into the unheated garage. If I have a good amount this fall I guess I will try to keep some in the tank and see how it does.

I don't know if it has strict requirements for dormancy. Mine didn't form turions till December after temps "plunged" to the 30s. And even then a number of branches continued growing and are currently still alive.

YAY I FINALLY got mine!But the envelope was ripped open,so I think customs probably opened it to check it out(but they ripped it in half,instead of nicely opening it)Anyways,thanks Pyro
smile.gif
Did y
smile.gif
u send me a seed?Cause it's an actual offshoot.It took more than 3 weeks to get here,so I'm wondering if the seed started to grow
smile_n_32.gif
*Niki*

Hay, Hellz here,
hey trapper, a turion is:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]winter resting bud, they allow the plant to survive cold/freezing temps. They are basically just dense compact growth. If memeory serves me (and I might be remembering some other organism that does this) the cells if the tissue in the turions are saturated with glucose which keeps them from freezing.
you just keep it in some water and itll grow
biggrin.gif

hope this has helped
Hellz

Hay, Hellz here,
nice!!! myn is also still growing steadily, and making more offshoots, im gonna have to put it into a larger container soon!!!
Hellz

I think mine's a little longer than that but it has no traps! ugh. they always do that. They take a while to start growing them. at first my U. gibba had zero traps but now it has a ton of them.

Hay, Hellz here,
LOL i just noticed that Lipton tea label there ^^
lol so that makes 3 uses for the word "tea Bag"...
ROFL
smile_m_32.gif
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smilie4.gif

Hellz

Ok so you guys don't have peat moss in your containers,just water and it'll grow?*Niki*

I took apart some Lipton tea bags and refilled them with peat. Let it soak for a few days and bingo!

i have peat on the bottom of my ten gal aquarium its in

Thanks

Brad

Hay, Hellz here,
um, would it b ok if i add dilute fertilizer to my plant?
my U. Stygia is growing in my Sarra Seedlings water tray, and i wante to start fertilizing my seedlings a little, idk if it would affect the Utric,
my real question is would it benefit it, or inhibit it (i.e. algae growth)
Thanks in advanced,
Hellz

Well I had peat moss in mine too but it wouldn't settle down to the bottom of my container,it was just floating ontop.So what should I do in that case?*Niki*

idk it just depends if u want peat floating around + it might block some of the light.

i did as pyro descripbed earlier in this post.

i put a layer of peat on the bottom
then i put a layer of sand on top of the peat
after that i SLOWLY filled with water

pyro went more indepth than i did.

do u think i could snip mine up a lil, like take one or two 1 inch pieces off to get more plants?

thanks

Brad

Hellz, I'd hesitate to put any fertilizer in the water. It could cause algea to grow like crazy.

Hay, Hellz here,
hmmm, thats what i was thinking at first T_T
o ell, ill put my U. Stygia in a seperate container soon, its growing to fast to keep in its current seed tray abode, and i wouldn want algae all over the place
Hellz

Oh great,thanks for the advice,I'll do that with the sand then
smile.gif
*Niki*

Niki, you can also put the peat in part of an old nylon stocking and tie the ends.

Back