What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting cephalotus seeds

I just received some Cephalotus follicularis seeds. I'm not sure what to do with them. In the Savage Garden it seems to be recommending both stratifying the seed and sowing immediately.

I’m hoping some folks here will share their experiences germinating them? I don't really have any specific question other then what is the best way to go about planting them?

Thanks

I sow mine on the surface of the compost in autumn, they germinate the following spring, frost-free greenhouse

OK so I set them in a damp paper towel, stick them in the frig for 6 or 8 weeks, spread them out on a peat/sand mix and stick them somewhere until next spring?

Do the seeds need to have a regular day/night cycle?

should I keep the pots damp, dry, water with everything else? or keep enclosed (like in a terrarium)

Do these plants maintain their seasonal cycle or do they adjust to the northern hemiphere?

Thanks
Dan

A good discussion on this topic is found at the Australian CP Forum
http://agustinfranco.proboards29.com/index.c....6772918
I think you have to register, then navigate to the topic Cephalotus Seed Germination Time.

Here is what Gus Franco had to say on that Forum:

I would like to denounce one of the biggest myths regarding germinating ceph seeds!. Stratification.
As some of you may have read, cephalotus seeds need to be stratified (kept in special humid rag inside a plastic bag for three months at 4 degrees Celsius or 45 degrees Farenheit) for successful germination.
Well, i received cephalotus seeds and i sowed them since the 15th or March 2004. Exactly three months later, i got seedlings growing!.

Conditions I used:
23-25 Degrees Celsius during the day and 17-18 Degrees Celsius at night. Constant light (14 hours a day, inside a terrarium.

Interestingly enough, i sowed seeds outside in the same compost. There, they received much less light and the temperature are 20-21 Degrees celsius during the day and 12-13 degrees Celsius at night. Guess what, no seedling have been seen yet.
Therefore, we come to the conclusion that temperature and light are very important factors that can either speed up or delay cephalotus seed germination time.

Hi Bob and the rest of the crowd:

I would like to add that 6 weeks later after the germination of the first group of seeds. the seeds that were exposed to lower day, as well as, night time temperatures also germinated.

What this means that if the seeds are exposed to temperatures below 0 celsius or 32 Fahrenheit they will remain dormant!

I have a couple of experiments to show you all on cephalotus seeds. I just hope that the seedlings remain alive to see the real results of the experiments.

Gus

Thanks much!!

I stuck the seeds in the frig for the last week because I went on a vacation (to Oregon and saw some wild Darlingtonias growing!!! Cool stuff!) This info should help me out alot.

Thanks again!
Dan

Um, PeterDamato also says that if not sown before 4 months, the seeds wil die and wont germinate..........

I've had luck on germinating these guys by putting them in the fridge for two months, but they died from fungus growth.

Back