What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

starting an above ground bog

37ppm... dang. I live pretty much down the street from Brooks and I was in the 50's. Still not bad I suppose.

So, Wes, are your 2x4 steaks just a 2x4 cut to a certain length and just buried?

Yeah, the stakes are 2 x 6s with a v cut so they go into the ground easier and I screwed them to the sides of my beds. They are probably 6-8" in the ground I would guess. There is no bulging on the sides so it must work!

When I was in Atlanta last year to visit Brooks, I tested Atlantas water and the TDS was 37ppm!! I couldn't believe how low it was.

Why is it all these people have been here and yet no one wants to visit me LOL??

37ppm... dang. I live pretty much down the street from Brooks and I was in the 50's. Still not bad I suppose.

Pretty much anything below 100 is considered okay, below 50 is great.

Decided to buy a gallon from one of those water-spigot-station... things.. at the local Winco. Got it home and tested it. 005 (FIVE!) TDS, not bad! Going to buy a 5 or 10 gallon jug of it one of these days. Definitely makes it possible to do the mini-bogs outside I wanted to do. :)

Travis, next time I am in Atl I would like to visit with you! If you are ever up this way you can do the same.

Ok it's done.

Made out of 3 2"x10"x8' boards (one cut in half), a layer of 6mil heavy duty construction plastic, and 1"x2" along the top nailed down to keep the plastic mostly in place. I put some 2x4s buried almost a foot down to support the sides.

Behold... my new grave! er Bog!

bog.jpg

WOW! That looks really nice! I like the idea of the 1" x 2" to hold the plastic. Very neat. Make sure to overfill the beds with peat 'cause it will settle quite a bit. Also looks like you have a lot of room to expand!!

yeah I am going from two half barrels to this.

I am going to let this sit as is for a while and just let rain do its thing before I add the soaker hose. Whatever settling happens I'll fill back in with the peat from the barrels.

Would things like dust, topsoil or other unwanted mediums get into the bog? would it be a problem if too much unwanted gunk got into the soil?

Also would it be a good idea to add a pump so that the water is flowing? might stop algae growth, evaporation and unwanted bugs living in the water.

yeah a re-circulating pump might be nice, but I enjoy the low maintenance / low energy approach. I just hose it down and scrub it clean about once a month during the growing season.

Back