What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stapelids: gigantea vs nobilis

I figured I could ask and maybe someone here would know. I have a new plant labelled Stapelid nobilis. After checking somethings out online I have heard contradictory reports on the stankyness of the flowering plants. Some people have nobilis with little to no smell when flowering but wikipedia says that Stapelia nobilis also goes by the name Stapelia gigantea which I thought was supposed to be rather ranky.

So my question...What gives? Is nobilis actually a distinct, less smelly species compared to gigantea or are they all the same and the level of rank (or not) just depends on individual variables such as plant genetics, environment, etc.

I really would like mine to reek if it ever flowers so I figured I should check into this now instead of expecting some powerful stench and then...pffh nothing if it eventually does flower and end up being rather disappointed.

If anybody here is a stapelid wiz lemme know what you think, I would really appreciate it.

NO! Not another plant forum. Must...resist...but will...so weak.

You definitely are my hook-up for my succulent questions today though hmm?

Hi All:

I grow stapelia grandiflora. I took my plant in at the end of Sept last year because it was raining to much. It had 7 blooms on it and it stunk up my whole house. My kids hated it. If I opened up the window, the flies would come to the screen. To me it had a gaseous chemical smell to it not so much a rotting meat smell. Im sure if it was outside it wouldnt smell too bad. One more thing, I noticed that when the sun shined on it, the smell was more intense.
FWIW,
Anna

Back