What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stapelia photos

Check it out my Stapelia schinzii var. angolensis has flowered today! It doesn't stink taht bad I had to put my nose right over it to detect any smell. I'm always hoping for a true stink pot and am always dissapointed when my "bad smelling" plants bloom and it's nothing as bad as my socks at days end!
smile_m_32.gif

stapeliaschinziiangolensis.jpg

These hairs are extremely cool, they "dance" at the slightest breeze (or breath)!
stapeliaschinziiangolensis1.jpg

The sexual bits and peices are pretty weird looking on Stapelia! I hope the fungus gnats in the chamber will have pollinated it for me...
stapeliaschinziiangolensis2.jpg

Crested stapelia vareigata
stapeliacrested.jpg

This is the unidentified one which I got at Bachmanns but it hasn't bloomed yet so I don't know if it's a Stapelia, Huernia or Hoodia?
stapeliadunknown.jpg

I'll get pics of all the others when they have something to show of themselves!
smile.gif

Nice! Are you keeping the Stapelias indoors? I find that mine do no appreciate being in the sun. They turn yellow and get limp. But when I put them in the shade, they grow much nicer.

This will be my first summer with them so for now they grow in the terrariums or next to the terrariums. If I have room on my deck they would be getting south western light with western shade in the afternoon so basicaly bright shade all day except from 10 am til 2 or 3 they'd get filtered direct sun. Does that sound like too much sun? I always feel like I should be giving them more light since they're "cacti".
When I get rid of all my seedlings for this year I'm going to make that terarrium (wood with plastic drop cloth cover & 4 40 watt lamps over it) my Stapelia paradise. Do they still go dormant if kept in climate controlled conditions? Will they "grow to death" like a venus flytrap if not allowed a dormancy?

I also thought, hey they're cacti, they must love sun.  Well, they sure don't.  My Huernias can take a lot more sun than Stapelias.  I don't know about dormancy, I keep them outside.  They do what they do and I just watch.  Did you have flies visiting the flower and laying their eggs in the center?  Then a few days later, the larvae hatch and you got a bunch of squirming larvae allover your flower, it's a sight to see!

Stapelia hirsuta
hirsuta_flower.jpg

Very Cool hirsuta Larry! I have noticed trolling google that the flower colors & patterns on stapelias seem to be very variable. One image on S. vareigata may have a beautiful pattern and the next S. vareigata may be almost boring in comparison, is this all due to varietal status or will a Stapelia flower have one color scheme & pattern one year and a different one the next or will it be generally consistent?

Mine is growing in my lowland Nep/propagation terrarium so the only flies in there are the fungus gnats which are finally starting to dissapear now that the nep cuttings have started making pitchers... Anyway, I would like to get seed since the flower hasn't faded overnight like I had assumed it would. any idea what parts are what on the flower and how to self it - is that possible?I'd also like to try hybridizing for bigger and prettier flowers when some of my big guys (gigantea, grandiflorum) start to bloom. Have you ever try getting seeds and crosses?

Such a great genus along with Ceropegia I wish there was some books on them somehwere!

The flowers don't change year to year. I've noticed S. variegata to be very variable. Perhaps that's why they named it such
smile_m_32.gif

I've never pollinated them. Seems only S. hirsuta wants to flower, S. gigantea has yet to flower for me. I have a Ceropegia stapeliformis. These guys seem very variable. Looks different in every photo I find on the net. The one I have isn't very impressive. The flowers, although numerous, are small and the colors aren't very striking. I do love how the unopened flower bud is twisted, and untwists itself when it opens. It's a fast growing vine, I've been neglecting mine.

I just got a "paracheute plant" Ceropegia, I think it's C. ampliata but I'm not sure, as I haven't seen the flowers yet but supposedly "2 inch" but they are green if it's this species. It has large velamen coated roots like a phalaenopsis... curious to know if a cutting will succeed mounted to some bark, I'll be experimenting!

Very nice pictures. Here is my Caralluma sinaica in flower for the first time!

And here is my Caralluma negevensis:

Cool thread going here! Nice photo's one and all. I just got a few Stapelia and one that starts with an *O* but I forget which.

That "unlnown" with the long stems is a crestate S. varigata, I am 90% sure. I know it isn't what you'd expect from a crestate, but if you compare the flowers, they should be identical. If not, forget I mentioned it, LOL.

I grew something, I forget that would make you puke if you smelled it. Had to remove it to the end of outside. You should have seen the flies around it, woirse than around Sarracenia. They make a great team!

Tamlin, I'm surprised the term you are looking for is Orbea. You are probably right I'd say it's orbea variegata also. If any of you guys want to trade some smelly flowers I have quite a few Orbea, Huernia, Stapelia etc, etc for trade if you are interested. Also some Saccaratum venustum (voodoo lilly) for trade also.

Back