What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stained glass terrariums?

S

saabi

Hi...new to this forum....but I have a question. Has anyone tried putting their plants in a "stained glass" terrarium? More specifically, a Nepenthes? My concern is that there is lead, and other metals in the composition -- are these plants sensitive to them? I'd love to make a terrarium for my cool (and for now little) plant -- but I don't want it to freak out and die....any advice? I thought about caulking the lead portions with silicon -- would that work, or is that toxic too?

Saabi, welcome to the forums. I'm certainly no expert but I have heard that neps can be "poisoned" by metal containers. I would probably keep the plant in a plastic container and place it in the terrarium.

I'm sure you'll get other responses from more knowledgeable forum members.

It's been a (real) long while since I had chemistry. That said, I think you should avoid having the soil in contact with the lead. Lead and other metals will disolve in water and in the acidic environment that CP's prefer the process will speed up. While I can't say if it will poison your plants, it will eventually result in (possibly) sevear corrosion of the metals and a leaky terrarium.

I would keep the plants in plastic pots inside the terrarium.

Thanks for the info -- I didn't realize the soil would be so acidic.....I wish I knew more chemistry -- I sucked at it in school. I was afraid the metal would decompose/leach into the soil -- I'm thinking I'll keep it in a pot...  Do you think the plants touching the metal will be a problem? The stained glass folks suggested I do this partially in zinc. I'm sooo excited to make a little house for my Nepenthes -- I just can't bear the thought of leaving him in the little fishbowl he's currently in.....
You guys are great! It's sooo cool to find so many knowledgeable people that are sooo into these plants! I think I'm starting to get hooked!  
biggrin.gif

Leaves touching the metal shouldn't be a problem, but I would check them occasionally to be sure.

Back