What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squirrels

i just woke up this morning to find out that a squirrel has knocked over my big pot of cacti and succulents and snapped my sauromatum venosum new set of leaves . i gotta repot the cactis again , does anybody new a good soil mix , i have'nt potted cacti for a while . i hope my sauromatum venosum does ok too , good thing it has anpther set of leaves coming up . not only that , but my brother reports that the squirrels are killing the morning dove eggs that a pair make , and everytime they succeed that darn squirrel comes by and breaks em , eats them and messes up the nest .
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
, i sware when i get my hand on that squirrel i'm gonna feed it to my flytraps when they gett bigger
tounge.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

must have been a weekend for squirrels. I had my two vfts destroyed by one of the little rasquels...good thing that hunting season is open year round on your own property!!

Deja vu....I have posted on this subject before. Squirrels were terribly damaging to my CPs outdoors last year. Thankfully this year they haven't been around much. But I know they're coming...the pecan tree is loaded this year.
sad.gif

I can't kill them though.

They are a bunch of pigs too. I have a nice bird feeder and the squirrels will sit there for 30 minutes eating away. They are fat and healthy in part of me buying bird seed. I aslso have nice birds that feed but most of the time the squirrels end up getting 95 percent of the feed. Bunch of Tree Rats!

For cp's I do not keep mine outside any more due to the fact that squirrels destroy them. Only if I had true ninja skills...
rolleyes.gif

Get some squirrell traps! it attracts and catches those annoying pesky squirrells, and it doesn't hurt them! just release them a few miles away
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Aug. 11 2003,06:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Get some squirrell traps! it attracts and catches those annoying pesky squirrells, and it doesn't hurt them! just release them a few miles away
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Great idea spec73! I wonder if I need a permit from the DNR?
confused.gif

i have a cat trap that i caught cats with and relesed them miles away , they kept killing the wild birds and chickenss
mad.gif
. otherwise i'll just get a beebee gun .

Another thing you can try is get some hardware cloth (heavy screening) at a hardware store or WalMart.  Make a cylinder with it big enough to house your cp's then cover the top with another piece.  Bend the loose edges together to close it up.  When you need to tend to the plants you can just remove  the whole 'cage' to get to them (if you haven't made it humongous).  They get plenty of light & the holes are big enough for bugs to get in but not for those dumb fat squirrels.  Or get a good dog for the yard.  Cats don't work, they just watch them, they don't even want to try & catch them.

wow goldtrap you raise chicken, I always wanted to raise a hen, not a rooster but a hen from its egg. I bought an incubator and everything, but then the eggs never hatch, and those eggs cost a lot cause of shipping and everything. One day, i'm hoping to have a little chicklet running around at my feet =D. Those and one of those homer ducks, just on friends =D.

My grandfather hates squirrels because they eat his tomatoes and stuff, but anyway he's got this greyish white powder and I dont know what it is or what its called but it keeps most animals that walk on the floor away, but it dosent work for birds(Which arent really a problem).

Oh, that white powder stuff, is also sold in ball form. I used to use them on rabbits that used to eat my vegetation garden in my backyard.

Back