What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

squirells atack my cps!!!!!!!!!&#3

I have had a problem this spring as well as last year with squirrels. They dig up all my stuff. this year there even worse they dug up my newly planted cps in my bog garden and in pots. they took them out and threw them around the yard.
mad.gif
Luckily they were all found .
laugh.gif
I have been covering them every night until i find a solution to this problem is there any squirrel repellents that repel them from at least my yard. Not really looking for sprays typically other things if they have it.lmk what i should do.  

Land mines.
tounge.gif

just smear peanut butter all over your plants. works like a charm
wink.gif
make sure to stuff it into the pitchers as well
laugh.gif

My way involves a shotgun, load of #5's, and no humans around. Yes, squirrels make a very good stew!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

lol. i think that maybe throw out food for them or something look online to find a remedy for it. the only thing i know that will keep them at bay is build a fence around all your cp's and place a top on it too. that's the only way it will work. that's the only thing i could find for you.

WOW!!! This year you beat PlantAKiss!! She's usually the first to have problems with squirrels
tounge.gif
. Other than putting a net or fence over and around them or turning them into stew and gloves, I don't think there's much you can do to keep them out of the bog.

smile.gif

BCK

Nothing works. Trap them and cart them off and new ones move into the vacant territory. Put out food and you end up with a million of them. Curse them! I hate the critters with a passion close to maddness. If you dont have a GH you are essentially sunk. Frames of chicken wire would work, and they sure are attractive aren't they? :-(

well like i said the best option is to fence your greenhouse including the top. seems landmines wouldn't work. or get a greenhouse. darn those squirls or get a dog to scare them away. my dog loves to scare away squirrels. haven't seen many on my property and that's b/c he loves to chase them up the tree him and his best friend.

Yeah well most of these things dont really work and are basically jokes . Well i agree with tamlin because i dont think anything works exept cover them up with assesories that work for a good bit . But i really dont want to have my plants surronded by chicken wire etc. Its not attractive but i will think of something . Maybe eventually i can get a greenhouse and take care of two thinks at once.(known as killing two birds with one stone):laugh: . Oh and by the way i better head out and cover them up again for the night for those squirrels (dont you love the name) . they seem to attack at 5 am and when i get up in the morning i uncover them. Out i go!
sad.gif

This time of year I have problems with both blue jays and squirrels uprooting plants. Luckily our dog, Gypsy, drives them both away. Last year she caught and killed a few squirrels, flipping them around the yard. She's REALLY fast and the second anything moves she's off bounding like a rocket across the yard. We think she is part pointer, part dalmatian, and part italian greyhound.

Love it!!

WildBill

my rat terrier is the same way w/ anything. he loves a good chase!!

thats a great idea i just dont have a dog. i have a cat . and a few lizards but they are shy especially the cats.

Yep BCK...the squirrel attacks have already begun.
sad.gif
I've already lost some VFTs and the sarra pots are torn up.

I had a chat with Phil Sheridan at Meadowview about this problem and his reply was basically "nothing you can do about it". Only choices are 1) kill them
sad.gif
2) Trap them and move them but in many places that is illegal as that can spread disease to new areas 3) built an enclosure around your plants that have no overlapping seams.

No repellants really work. I don't know what I'm going to do as I don't have the money or skills to build a big enclosure.
rock.gif

Yeah I'm with wildBill on this one. the only thing that works at my house is my Dog "spirit" she's part beagle and part jackrussle terrier. Basicaly a backwoods Alabama experiment to see if they could breed a medium dog fast enough to track a deer. It worked! half the time the little varmits can't get to the tree fast enough. I'd send you puppies but my wife had her fixed while I was away
mad.gif

hmmmmmmm there is an umbrella greenhouse you can buy.

Hey, have you guys ever seen those "scat cat mats?"  They're these mats you put down around whatever you want to keep cats away from, and they are covered with small spike that make it very uncomfortable/painfull to walk on them, or they give a low voltage electric shock (like and electric fence).  I wonder if they would work with squirls?
Check it out:
scat mats

I like the land mine idea

Or maybe a moat of quicksand

Er, WPG, just don't step on it! People do wear shoes, though, so I don't think it would be a problem.....Even if you did get zapped, I'm sure it's not worse than a good static shock.

You could move here to Tucson Arizrona... No problems with those critters here. But then agian, you can't just have a bog outside either... It's too hot and not humid enough. So, back to the g/h idea. I guess we all must have green houses eh?
Andrew

Back