What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring pic

Hello,

N. x trusmadiensis - hope you enjoy it.

trusmadi2.jpg

trusmadi3.jpg

Cheers,
Dominik

Hi all:

it is very interesting to see the characteristics of both lowii and macrophylla in this hybrid. I think that's what makes it beautiful. It's just the combination of the lowii peristome shape and pitcher plus the teeth containing peristome from the macrophylla parent. Nice photo Dominik

Gus

Wow! Cool! It looks almost CG.

Very nice Sir! Is this a wistuba clone??

Awesome! At least we can get TM hybrids and see some of its beauty but none come close to the pure hybrid.

I don`t know if it is origin from Wistuba. I got it as a gift a few years ago, from a good friend. At that time he told me, that it should be from Wistuba, but as i asked him a few weeks ago, he told me, that it also could be one of his seed grown plants. Even if it would be from Wistuba, the plant is about 6-7 years old and i don`t know if Wistuba still sells the same clones.

Cheers
Dominik

Ahh it looks like this old chestnut has come around again. This looks very much to me like one of the clones that Andreas sold (are maybe is still selling) as N.macrophylla some years ago. I have a large plant that I purchased at least 7 years ago (interestingly around the same time period) that produces the same ruffled peristome. I have posted several pictures of it on the UK CP forum in the past and also seen pictures of it on this site from US growers.

I have asked several experienced growers for their opinion as to the likely parentage of this plant (including Andreas) and generally these have been mixed (ranging from true macrophylla to trusmadinesis to not sure to secondary hybrid)

I have in my collection a plant that I believe to be a 'true' N. x trusmadinensis and this plant even from a very small size differed from Andreas plant, the peristome is more characteristically striped as seen in other lowii hybrids and the peristome is not as pronounced. As to what Andreas plant is I am not sure only time will tell (or maybe it wont) but in my opinion for what its worth I dont think that the plant is a primary macrophylla x lowii hybrid.

Simon

Hello Simon,

thanks for your opinion, but i showed the plant to Mr. Johannes Marabini (who descripted it) and he told me for sure, that it is a N. x trusmadiensis.
But time will tell,

Dominik

one question, wheres the "hairs" under the lid? most lowii hybrids have some or at least a few "hairs" under the lid...

Here is my pic I think its probably the same clone

http://www.treesmilltropicals.co.uk/forumimages/July_05_034.jpg

I must admit all the lowii hybrids I have do have some of the lowii charatersitcs under the lid either small bristles (albeit very few) or the secretions. These are completely absent in the plant in the picture above

However if you are correct Dominik I'm pleased with the trade off assuming my plant is of course the same clone as yours.

Simon

---.jpg

here's my wistuba clone. I am pretty sure we all have the same plant. There is a pic on borneo exotics website of something that looks very similar, and it is listed as macrophylla.

hmmm maybe its not a cross with lowii at all!. Perhaps it is a cross with ephippiata!
confused.gif
that might explain the lack of striping in the peristome...

Hello,

i hope that one of the next pitchers will be a real upper pitcher. At last then we will know
smile.gif

Please have a look at the pictures from EP (peristome collection) or Wistuba and you will see, that trusmadiensis not always have bristles under the lid.

If you take a look at Nepenthes of Borneo (p. 160), and the pictures of both webpages you can see three completely different forms of N. x trusmadiensis.

But, as i said, time will tell
smile.gif

@rlhirst: As far as i know, N. ephippiata not occur on Gunung Trusmadi.

Cheers
Dominik

Hi Robin,

I am regularly running DNA sequencing reactions but unfortunately these are on human tumour samples I think nepenthes sequence data on the data base may cause a few raised eyebrows

Simon

Please remember that Trusmadiensis is a very generalist epithet, and refers to both lowii x macrophylla, and macrophylla x lowii. Reverse crosses do show significant differences. Add to that some variation within the parent populations, and you'll find plenty of variation within what is referred to as Trusmadiensis.

Lowii x macrophylla has a distinct look from a very young age, but macrophylla x lowii can look almost identical to macrophylla until it starts to produce upper pitchers, when the hybrid traits really jump out.

Hamish

Hi Simon,
hmm. so theres no way you could convince everyone that your looking for the cure for cancer in exotic plant species eh? Dang! ;)

oh well. I guess we will continue to speculate...
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks,
robin

Back