What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally moved all my plants outside - no danger of frost in Missouri for at least a week (knock on wood). In the sunlight, I noticed probably close to 70 flowers poking up. Have some S. flava that decided dormancy was enough back in January. Those stalks are about a foot high now, but every thing else is just surfacing. I noticed my Ladies in Waiting has two flowers on it, a rubra x moorei with about 9 flowers coming up from one plant - and it's not even that old, maybe 6 years; and some I've been impatiently waiting to flower for breeding purposes, such as oreophila x psittacina, flava x psittacina, oreophila x willisii, mardi gras, and hummer's hammerhead. Anyway, I needed a cheering up, and this was definitely it. How are everyone else's Sarra's looking, in more northerly areas?

Hmmmm....my S. Dixie Lace is beginning to grow but no signs of flowers but there will be.
smile.gif

I like your Sarracenia, especially S. "Bug Scoop", lol.

Joe

Well I've got just two flower buds developing at the moment - one on a 'Ladies in Waiting' and another on a catesbaei x minor. Another 5 plants should flower this year and I'm awaiting the arrival of about 15 new plants. Hopefully lots of these will have flowers.

Two of my S. purpureas, three leucophyllas and six minors are showing new buds. I seem to be constantly going out to the patio to check on the progress of all of the small red and green new-growth points coming up from the rhizomes.

I envy you folks who live in sunny Florida.

How come everybody has Sarr. flowers except me? My purpurea hasn't ever bloomed any flowers at all... ?

Flytrapgurl,
Mine haven't flowered yet either. Don't feel picked on.
smile.gif

What an exciting time of year for Sarracenia growers! All of mine are quickly coming out of dormancy and many flowers forming; my S. purpurea is flowering for the first time
biggrin.gif
, it's pitchers never died this year, just turned a deep deep purple color, very nice. My flava scapes seem to grow by the hour. I'm very fortunate to live in a climate where I just leave the plants outdoors year-round and nature takes good care of their dormancy requirements; all I need to give is the right water and soil, no bother with moving pots, gro-lights, danger of frost, etc. I think my temps here in San Diego are similar to their habitat. My friend had 3-foot flavas on his patio last year, where they live all year. A far cry from Nepenthes culture!

Back