What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S'pore CPersFree Drosera capensis 'narrow leaf'

• Thread starter guqin
  • Start date
Do I absolutely have to sow the seeds or put them in the fridge after I recieve them? What happens when the seeds are left outside for too long, say about a month?
Thanks,
Jason

You may store the seeds in the fridge until you are ready to sow them.

has anyone's d cap "narrow leaf" seed sprouted yet?
mine havent and it has been 1 week 4 days already

My seeds had not sprouted yet. Patience is the key to success!
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
They germinated! I was about to start a new thread when I saw this thread back up again.

I sowed some seeds on peat/sand. The others I left them to float in distilled water. The ones in distilled water germinated in 8 days!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
And they are more than a foot away from my lights!

It was difficult trying to fish them out from the water though...'cos when they sprout, they sink.
tounge.gif

Good for you Cindy!
biggrin.gif

hey i have good news!
today i stared at my seeds which was in the two small pots of spahgum moss. i sprinkled them on the surface 2 weeks ago. Now i see light green sprouts popping out of the black seeds! Germination at last! i keep them in my terrarium and the 2 pots are sitting on a tray of water so the live spahgum moss is quite wet. Can the seedlings drown in this conditions?

Cindy:id have to try that method! but won't the seeds drown?

thanks, good luck with your seeds/seedlings!

wezx, you have to keep an eye on the seeds in distilled water. Once you see 2-3mm of root coming out, you'll have to "fish" it out using a dropper. Then use a forcep to place it on peat/sand mix.

You have to be very careful though, 'cos the seed is very delicate...being a lady helped.
wink.gif

ok thanks so water wont hurt the seeds until the seeds until they develop roots, thats good because i accidentally poured a whole lot of water in the small seed pot!

Oh dear, that's not good. The seeds will get buried in the peat/sand mix. Being so tiny, the seedling will not have the strength to push itself out of the soil...
wow.gif

actually its on spahgum moss and i sprinkled seeds on the top:)

You mean live sphagnum moss? If so, then you'll just need to watch that the seeds are not washed into some of the tiny spaces.
tounge.gif

How's the seed germination, friends? I have good germination success but, after the first two true leaves came out, the seedlings stopped growing. Has anyone experienced this?

Good germination too but they are not doing well, like what you observe. They are not growing after the first two true leaves.
sad.gif

hmmm, im not sure, the seedlings look quite healthy to me but it seems to be growing quite slowly...
i counted my seedlings, there were about 9 , some have 2 leaves and some have 3 leaves
rock.gif

Oh no! The D. capensis curse is upon us again! I cannot believe this is happening!
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (guqin @ Feb. 02 2004,09:21)]Oh no!  The D. capensis curse is upon us again!  I cannot believe this is happening!
sad.gif
Hopefully not, I have three types of capensis seedlings, red (start to grow “young adult” leafs), thin and albino (5~6 juvenile leafs) in cultivation.
You will hear from me, when the next generation seeds or plants are ready for sharing.

JK

Back