What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPider captured, how long to freeze?

Im holding a spider captive right now my first attempt to drop him in a VFT mouth was unsucessful. I have bad tweezers and it takes a lil longer to pick him up without killing it. He fell into the tray and crawled out. Luckily I caught him again. I frooze him for about 5 minutes and he woke up within a minute. I need him to sleep for atleast 1.5 minutes. I cant describe the spider really, but its about a quarter inch, including the leg. Is 7 minutes too much?

SativaKing,
I think you will have experiment with freezing spiders. There are too many variables (age of refridgerator, size of container, is it glass or plastic, where you live, etc) for anyone but you to determine how long to freeze the spider. I would suggest increasing the freeze time by 15 to thirty seconds each time you put him in the freezer. This will give you a ball park number for the next (fresh) spider that comes along. I know for flys here where I live, anything over 4 minutes is usually fatal. You might, also look into getting a better pair of tweezers.

I frooze it for 7 minutes this time and i was able to drop it in. Im sort of disapointed. Its not fightning much, the legs occasionally move, but when I poke it with a wire it fights. Problem now is the front legs are sticking out and i dont think its possible for the whole trap to close. Will the spider live if I pull out the front legs?

wow.gif

I noticed something interesting. Even though the spider is in the trap it can someone sense im watching. When i was watching the trap it would not move much. So i went away for a few minutes. I snuck up on the trap and it was fightning like ####.

Back