What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum?

Ok I know that most of the time it isn't sphagnum, but I still gotta ask.
I also know the pics are a bit blurry.. If It is to blurry I can try to take better ones..

That looks like 100% sphagnum to me

Kewl, there is a huge mat growing in my yard. =)
Batteries on the camera died just as I discovered the 'big' mat. charging, them now. Maybe I can get a pick before it gets dark.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Kewl, there is a huge mat growing in my yard. =)
Batteries on the camera died just as I discovered the 'big' mat. charging, them now. Maybe I can get a pick before it gets dark.

Oh! The only thing I'd do before using it for your CPs or anything like that is to WASH IT! Sphagnum can be really good at holding nutrients, so if it were me, I'd give it a good go through with clean water and try a few plants/test dissolved particles of runoff from the sphagnum before repotting my entire collection. Don't wanna spend some much time using good water only to end up accidentally fertilizing your plants or something. If this isn't neccessary, then I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me. Congrats on your find, btw!
smile.gif

Thanx Est. I'm not repotting into 100% Live tho, just doing a bit of top dressing with it. I'll still wash it. The area in my yard is probably an 8 foot circle with a few smaller patches around it. I was pretty sure it was Sphagnum in the spring, when it started to grow, then someone convinced me that it wasn't.. Never really looked at it again until yesterday.

Back