What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum?

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
Is this sphagnum? Found in Virginia...

1460r4.jpg

2rq20yo.jpg

2q2iirn.jpg

20f2qg8.jpg

6rlll3.jpg

2ias76d.jpg

It definitely looks like the structure and growth pattern of sphagnum, but what concerns me is the growth tips. They don't look like the typical sphagnum star-like growth points, but the rest of the parts of the strand look just like sphagnum. So what do you guys think? ???

Not sphagnum duder..

Not sphagnum duder..

Rats! :-(

I'll tell the person who found it to look around for something different, but this time I'll stress the fact of the star-shaped growth points.

Better not to collect sphagnum from the wild anyways. Many species are protected and wild sphagnum can introduce unwanted pathogens and parasites into your collection. (pathogen that is found in north america could wreck havoc on a Nepenthes or Heliamphora.) be careful.

Iv'e collected that false stuff before...it was quite disappointing when I found out because it looked so much like it too. Don't worry, eventually you'll have a bog of sphagnum one way or the other..

Definitely not Sphagnum. That kind of moss likes dryer conditions.

Thanks for all the responses!

I told the dude who is collecting for me to look for the distinct star-like growth tips. He said that the moss in my original post and some pond moss were the only two he found. He's going to go back, but odd are he won't find any and I'll have to grow out the little that I have. I just wish it would grow faster lol. It's slower growing than my neps. :jester:

What county does he live in? Geography plays a big factor in Sphagnum distribution.

What county does he live in? Geography plays a big factor in Sphagnum distribution.

It's being collected in Virginia, USA... I assume you would know where they generally grow in VA geography, judging by your location. Any tips on where my friend out there could find some to ship to me?

Where within the state is he located? Knowing that will help a lot. It's more common in the Tidewater areas than anywhere else.

Where within the state is he located? Knowing that will help a lot. It's more common in the Tidewater areas than anywhere else.

It's in the southwest corner... So directly opposite of the tidewater areas. :jester:

Okay, he's most likely not going to find anything. They do have some amazing little fish in that area, though. Most, if not all of them are endangered.

Back