What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum Advice?

CorneliusSchrute

A leuco by any other name would still be as glutto
I am relatively new to growing sphagnum moss and have several cultures going right now. I have been leaving several trays of it outside in the elements where it freezes solid for an extended time, keep a few in my unheated pop-tent greenhouse with my overwintering Sarracenia and Dionaea, and even have a few in my unheated garage. I have lost none of it yet, and some even appears to be still growing, albeit quite slowly.

My question then: would you think the moss would grow more in the unheated garage under lights or outside where it sees the stronger sun but sees colder temperatures and extended freezing? I am just trying to optimize my cultures I guess.

Thanks!

I grow all of my Sphagnum in my greenhouse which is no lower than 50F at night in winter and usually not higher than 84F in the summer. My Sphagnum starts picking up in the spring and grows like a weed from summer until autumn, but in winter it grows much much slower. One species I have even starts loosing its firmness and mats down to an extent.

Most Sphagnum species need a dormancy, like you've described, but it can be in the 40s or low 50s and that will count as a dormancy. It might be best to leave it outside and wait for Spring. When Sphagnum grows under different lighting or humidity, it may also modify its shape. When I had Sphagnum in low light and high humidity, it made tall, straight strands to capture as much light as possible. So if you put it under lights, it may grow weirdly and get set back when you move it outside again for the growing season.

Corey
I grow mine outside in a pop tent and a case. The enclosure is mainly to keep the Blackbirds (Turdus merula , not a particularly attractive name) from stealing it all for nesting material.
One year I left an 8" pot of sphagnum out while I repotted a Darlingtonia in the greenhouse, I returned 30 mins later to find a disgruntled Blackbird sitting in the bottom of an empty pot.

Good to know, folks. I have seen the spindly growth that comes from growing under lights: ghat same culture makes nice thick strands in partial shade outside.

I think I will try to make room in my little greenhouse to take advantage of both of your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Back