What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I purchased a Spathoglottis orchid at the garden center today, my first true terrestrial (except the paphs). I don't know the exact species it only says Spathoglottis, it's flowers will be dark pink/purple with yellow striping so it's probably a hybrid of some sort. They are said to bloom year round once mature and this one is sending up 4 spikes and it's has a pot stuffed with bulbs.

I would like to repot it into a wider & deeper pot but I need to know when a good time to do it? Supposedly it doesn't really have a rest period. I can't find a lot of detailed info on them just pretty much the same paragraph of care on about 100 different sites.
Also, when repotting do I rifle through the soil and cut off all the blackened roots like I would for an epiphyte orchid or should I just transplant it like my Nepenthes with as little root disturbance as possible?
When I got home I see that my rather expensive (and large) orchid care & cultivation book simply says: "terrestrial orchids are difficult and is not dealt with in the scope of this book"...
mad.gif

So does anyone have more info/tips on growing these guys. Or can at least correct me if I'm wrong with my assumptions of how I'm planning to grow it, which is:
I'm thinking of growing it in the east window for winter (moving outdoors to eastern bright shade in spring/summer). None of the info I've found mentions required humidity levels so I figure it doesn't require a terrarium - I can mist every day. RH will be about 40-60% RH in winter and 50-70% in RH spring/summer/fall. Temps 60*F + year round.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hey Swords

I emailed a friend of mine in Oz who is "the man" when it comes to orchids, and this is what he had to say on Spathoglottis...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">  Spathoglottis is a genus of ground orchids and need to be potted in a humus type of potting mix. A tree fern pot is good as it holds moisture. There is a bulb at the base that should be covered but the top of the bulb should be at ground level otherwise the leaves tend to rot. They can take a fair amount of light as they naturally grow in clearings or side of the road.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hope that helpls a bit.

Cheers, Troy.

Thanks very much Troy! I shall leave the plant in it's pot for now and repot in the early spring just before I can move it outside to a brighter location.

Back