What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Hello
smile.gif

Ive been looking for some pings that I can grow year round outside here and I came across a site that claims that these plants can.

Does anybody here grow these any feedback would be wonderful before I fork out the $dough$ .

This is what information they give on the plants....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Spanish Butterwort
Pinguicula vallisneriifolia

This butterwort produces long narrow leaves that can get up to 8 inches long. When fully grown, it has a spidery appearance. Two features, apart from its elongated leaves, make this plant very unique among the butterwort family. One unusual is that the underside of the its leaves also contain glands that secrete sticky goo. (All other butterworts have these glands only on the dorsal or top side of the leaf.) Another unusual feature is that this butterwort reproduces by sending out runners. No other butterwort is capable of doing that.

Range
You will find theses carnivorous plants in the mountains of southern Spain. It grows in very wet areas along vertical limestone rock walls. This is why it produces elongated leaves. As it hangs on the cliff walls, its leaves drape over.

Hybrids of the Spanish Butterwort exists, such as Pinguicula vallisneriifolia x grandiflora rosea. This particular Spanish Butterwort Hybrid produces long broad leaves, which can get up to 6 inches long. This plant has the ability to curl its leaf slightly when an insect is caught in it.

Winter Hardiness
Very hardy, zone 8-9. Can tolerate temperatures as low as 20° F for brief periods of time.

Where to Grow
Best grown outdoors as a container or potted plant. Because it requires a cool root system, avoid placing this plant in direct afternoon sun. You may also grow them in a pond or a home bog garden where water constantly flows over its roots. Because of their specific soil requirement, avoid planting them in the ground.

Sunlight
Grow these carnivorous plants outside in partial sun, but not full shade. Morning sun is best. Avoid direct sunlight during the afternoons.

Water
Keep the pot in standing water to keep the soil wet at all times. Use mineral-free water for best results. If growing your carnivorous plants in a pond, keep the water level halfway on the pot. Avoid drowning the crown of the plant. Because this plant requires a cool root system, you will need to pour iced water over the soil during very hot summer days.

Soil
Requires nutrient-free soil that is slightly alkaline and provides good drainage. A mixture of 1 part peat moss, 1 part perlite and 1 part vermiculite is sufficient. Never use potting soil. Potting soil will kill your carnivorous plants.

Winter Care
By late summer, the plant will begin to show signs of entering dormancy. Its leaves will gradually turn brown, and the plant will form a resting bud for its winter dormancy.

Because they require 4-5 months of cold temperatures for a winter dormancy, leave them outside. This applies to all of the American carnivorous plants. Don't worry about brief temperature dips into 20's. Just leave them outside.

Protect them from dry freezing wind during deep freezes by covering the plant with black plastic. Uncover the plant when the deep freeze and dry freezing wind is over.

If you live in zones 3-5, please read the Severe Cold Region page.

Spring Care
Clip off old leaves to make way for flower buds and new leaf growth.

Repotting
Repot yearly to refreshen the soil and to aerate the roots. Do this in February through March, right before they come out of dormancy. Avoid repotting during the growing season.

Indoor Care
Because it requires full sun during the growing season and cold winters for dormancy, we don't recommend growing this plant indoors.

As I said any feed back would be great!
smile_l_32.gif

I grow some but not here, I am in France

would you say they are a difficult plant? do you grow yours indoors or outdoors?

Back