What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spaghnum moss

I am using pure dried spaghnum moss for my D. capensis. I was wondering if this is the best soil mix to use for my D. capensis so it will grow rapidly. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Good question. I don't know anyone what grows Drosera in straight LFS, but I imagine it would be OK. Equal parts silica sand/perlite and peatmoss provides excellent results, but soil medium is only part of the equation.

Homer

*chuckle* By means of their own, I have a TON of D. capensis growing right on the Spagnum (which goes down a couple of inches) and boy oh boy do they seem to love it. I can't get them to stop flowering.
smile_n_32.gif

Sounds good. I use 1/2 peat and 1/2 perlite though.

I often grow Drosera capensis in LFS, live Sphagnum and sometimes floating in water. It doesn't seem to mind what media it has once major essentials of growing conditions are met.

I use longfibered for tropical plants or otehrs which I know it grows well in. Like D. rotundifolia

Being relatively new to the hobby and not knowing, like the back of my hand, what needs what, I mix roughly equal parts of sand & peat and then topdress it with LFS. The only exception is that I go heavily with sand on pigmy sundews, particularly D. scorpiodes. The combo seems to work, but I haven't had the 3 decade opportunity to test things out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ Feb. 13 2005,12:20)]Good question. I don't know anyone what grows Drosera in straight LFS, but I imagine it would be OK. Equal parts silica sand/perlite and peatmoss provides excellent results, but soil medium is only part of the equation.

Homer
Homer,
Not "soil media", but soilless media.

I even grow some D. auriculata in pure Sphagnum. Seeds of my other D. auriculata plants germinated in my U. humboldtii pot and now start to grow a stem...funny enough, if you take a closer look you'll see the red tubers in the green moss.

Cheers,
Jan

I have a pie pan with live Sphagnum underneath my grow table.  Seeds from my burmanni, intermedia and capillaris, growing in 50/50 peat and silica, have fallen into it and are thriving.  They are in near total shade so they are not very colorful but they seem to love it.  I for one believe that most Drosera will, given a little water, will grow anywhere.

as long as you give capensis really good light i dont think it really cares what its roots are it. its not to picky. i think my mature plants are in pure peat at the moment. seeds i recently planted are in 50-50 peat-sand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Feb. 13 2005,6:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ Feb. 13 2005,12:20)]Good question. I don't know anyone what grows Drosera in straight LFS, but I imagine it would be OK.  Equal parts silica sand/perlite and peatmoss provides excellent results, but soil medium is only part of the equation.  

Homer
Homer,
Not "soil media", but soilless media.
Mr. Joe Clemmens is technically right about these being called "soiless" mediums, but I admit I have trouble accepting that definition, lol.
Soil is a combo of organic and mineral components taking a very long time for the earth to make. Of course peat/sand sounds organic/mineral, doesn't it?
smile_n_32.gif

Anyhoo, I think lf shpagnum is probably the best newbie medium. Peat/sand seems to work for nearly everyone, but the sand I get here is very fine, so I think it compacts a bit much. I sowed a lot of seed 10 yars ago on milled sphagnum and peat/sand, and I could not believe the size difference a few months later. Milled sphagnum seedlings many times the diameter of peat/sand.

Cheers,

Joe

Back