What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern bog trip with Jay Lechtman

As some of you know, at the last minute I was informed that Jay would be in town. We set up sort of an impromptu bog trip that wound up lasting 2 days
smile.gif
. Well, after 2 days, 1 sun burn, 3 tanks of gas, 2 GREAT hole in the wall BBQ joints and over 700 total miles traveled I must say, it was a BLAST.

Without furthe adu, on to the pics.

Bog_trip_015.jpg

Alata in St. Tammany Parish. Something some guys like Don Schnell thought where extinct.

Bog_trip_010.jpg

One of the very few Alatas still in flower in St. Tammany.

Now onto DeSoto Nat. Forest.

Bog_trip_041.jpg

Right passed the tree line at DeSoto

Bog_trip_133.jpg

VERY nice color

Bog_trip_099.jpg

Jay on his belly takin that perfect shot.

Ok, thats enough for the first half of the trip. I forgot to take a pic of Jays battle scars (he forgot to put on his jeans at DeSoto)

EDIT: Sorry Jay, I mispelled your last name. The above picture is of Mr. Letchman (hope I got it right this time)

Anything to turn attention from definitely non-photogenic me ...  
cool.gif

Those plants I'm trying to take the perfect photos of are yellow- and pink-flowered S. rubra wherryi. I'm beginning to convince myself that they're hybrids (S. alata and a few obvious hybrids can be found in the vicinity). Pitchers all look the same, but some clones have lighter petal color (and taller flowers).

Anyway, if you ignore the big guy crawling through the mud with his digicam, it's not a bad photo.  
biggrin.gif

Oh ... almost forgot:

The plants just above my head are D. filiformis tracyi.

Wow!!!! Great pictures guys. Wish there were places around here like those. But this area of Colorado is known more for the mountains than any bogs.

Thanks for sharing!

smile.gif

BCK

I wanna go! Thanks for the digital experience at least!
tounge.gif

SF

Good job, Casper!! Good to see the NASC President out getting familiar with his work!!

I am sooooooooo envoius. I was supposed to make that trip but Life got in the way. DANG DANG DANG!

The ground doesn't look soggy wet and really sandy... hmmm.

Stunning! Man, what I would give to see those fields of sars. Great photos. You really may the envy just ooze from skin!

I'm very jealous! You two must have had a blast. Thanks for sharing the photos. That's very exciting about the St. Tammany alata.

A very good illustration of why the NASC project is so important...so other people 100 years from now will be able to see those same plants whether in the wild or in a safe collection.

Just wondering...in the pic with Jay...those plants to the left look a lot like D. filliformis but its hard to tell. Is it? Or just some similiar looking weedy thing?

Thanks Casper and Jay! Go again!

Wonderful picture and a tribute to the plants. Nice job guys. Casper, I look forward to the write up.

Thats really cool. I especially like the last picture
cool.gif

PlantAKiss, In one of the posts, jlechtm said they were Drosera filliformis ssp tracyi

Actually, the ground in most of the sites visited wasn't soggy (or even peaty) at all. Most of these plants were growing in what could best be described as a silty clay, and barely damp. Only one site of the half-dozen or so we visited in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama looked to be comprised of peat, with lots of growing sphagnum.

The soil they grow in is different from bog to bog. As Jay can tell you, sometimes the ground is peaty, sometimes sandy silt, or even sandy clay. I have witnessed many different soil types, and the plants that grew there also did well in a greenhouse in peat moss. If they are growing in it, it must be acidic, and have all the qualities in it the plants love. They can be picky that way.

Casper, One other thing. Don Schnell didn't say they were extict in St. Tammany, he said they had not been seen in the wild for some time. Thanks to you and Jay, they have been found again. Gotta log that in our books and on the website Carl Mazur made for us.

Back