What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South American Sphagnum

I've dressed the top of my VFT pot with some dried moss, labeled "Long-Fiber Sphagnum Moss," which I bought at the local Hardware Labyrinth. That's all it says on the package, other than "product of Chile" and "wear gloves."

Any chance this is real sphagnum? It looks right, but I'm no expert. Chilean moss?

I assume that it is safe for a top dressing, even if it is not actual sphagnum moss. Am I right in this assumption, or will it poison the pot and kill my little devils?

Thank you again, as always.

--Steve

If it says "long-fibered sphagnum moss" and "product of chile" than it is real sphagnum moss. It is probably in a 432 cubic in. bag, right? The same kind I use.
If you use other moss like "green moss" or "sheet moss" or spanish moss, the plant might become poisoned...even for top-dressing.

But it is OK to use Spanish moss to decorate your CP tanks like I will be doing when I get some dried wood to hang it on. I got some while I was in FL as well as some Tillandisas.

Back