What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Source for n.ampullaria var

Hello all. Its benn sometime since the last time i write in thes forum. Any way for a few years now i have a terrarium at home wich i made a lowland tropical one and my main thing was to collect Ampullaria Var because from all they seemed the mostr suted with space light and the heat they need wich is easyer to get then to cool it down. Well i havent been home to much to add some new plants for it and now that i have some extra time i really want to upgrade it with some plants add another light bulb and some watering and misting system. So i wanted some help because i did look up websites with some of the special var they are expensive but at this point i can efford it. Any reccomended good sorces for some of the Var.? Nurserys? private people? i havent seen this Var on this web site so i hope this message is acording to the rulls.

Thanks very much and all the best to you all

Yoav

Hello YtK, but what do you mean by "Ampullaria Var", i don't see what you mean by Var ?

Greetings,

Kina

It's perfectly obvious what he means by var.

You might want to try Tony Paroubek at http://www.exoticplantsplus.com He has a few nice N. ampullaria var. that may be worthwhile. hes the best priced that I have found for these. Other supplies are higher priced or our of stock.

I think it depends on where Yoav lives, where he can order from.
Tony does carry a wonderful variety of N. ampullaria, here in the US.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi again. Well thanks for the replies the reason i wrote var and not varaities is becaus my English is not perfect and wasnt sure what is the way to spell it, sorry for that,
I live in Israel but i am in vacation at family in the US so its a good opertunity to get some plants ive been looking for over here. I will get them and then work out the paper work that as to be done to bring them there.
I checked the link you gave me they did have a good nice selection but none of the Amps appeard on the last to date price list so i contact them if they are avalible.
ill keep looking. Any other US online Nurserys wich caryy them.

Thanks very much and all the best

Yoav

Hi again. Well so far i disocverd that Thomas on Dangerous plants will have some nice Var soon. The one that really is amazing is the Amp with the white pitchers. any body grow that?

Yoav

Tom has some nice stuff but his prices are higher than average.

Is there any place else you can sugest that has good prices with this plants?

Hello Ytk,

I'm looking for some years now, different varieties of Ampullaria here from france, but it's quite rare ! or very expensive.
Borneo Exotics, are selling again a clone called " Brunei Red ", different than the Cantley's red form. But it's a clone, so you can catch a very nice colours !
But you'll have to find a distributor i think from B.E. Cos they don't sell for particular ( i think )
I found, by Mr Christian Klien in Germany, a really nice form some weeks ago...it's a " Brunei Red " with pitchers similar of the Red form but with a yellow, and little bit green peristome...i didn't know this form before !
So, sometimes, you find but you have to look with the nursery if there's one day a chance to catch a Hot lips or Red moon for example !

Good luck anyway !

Greetings. KinA

Yea it is difficult to find them.
if any one remembers suddenly of wnother good place feel free to write.

Thanks

Yoav

[b said:
Quote[/b] (YtK @ Aug. 22 2005,4:01)]The one that really is amazing is the Amp with the white pitchers. any body grow that?

It varies from pale green to a yellowish to white. Its a slow weak grower and personally don't think its a worthwhile clone to be propagated. Of course this could change if ten years from now it all of a sudden started to grow and became a weed. But its expensive and if you plan on buying it, but the William's Red instead!

That one I highly recommend~!

Michael
I would like to comment on the white pitchered clone.

Thanks RainforestGuy both are hard ti find where to buy. i havent seen them for sale only one white picture onw at dangerousplants and when i talked to thomas he did say it is a weak grower and that it died for him. Hard to find this specias. mybe in overseas nurserys but they either sale it whole sale or dont have it at the moment wich is sometime alot of time.

Yoav

Hello,

I have this form since a few weeks, with red pitchers and yellow peristome. here is an old pitchers.
Do you know the name of this form ? or Var ?
Thanks a lot.

Greetings.

Looks like a typical red variant of N. ampullaria. Not a giant red or any of the cultivars. Just a unique individual.

Alright, so it could be have many colours in one variant on the peristome ?

Greetings.

Whats that about the peristome? Yes, some variants have different colors of peristomes like the green one is obviosly green, the speckled is green and the giant red has a yellowish hue with a few stripes on it. Cantleys red has a red peristome and hot lips has a pink peristome.

hi Jacque,mine is hotter !
but who gave the name "hot lips","red moon",etc. The photo i posted below,is this a "hot lips" ampullaria,red like lips of women?Also i heard of washington red,williams red,what is it?
confused.gif

Hotlip.jpg

...the forest...my garden...

Hello rbjong,

your ampullaria is a var. typica.straits.

Back