What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something old, something new, something

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My wife's laptop recently died. Specifically, the screen ceased funtioning. My oldest son also has a laptop with that problem. In the meantime, when we moved, in December, our old desktop Gateway, along with monitor and keyboard got stored in the attic. So I brought them down and hooked them up. surprisingly, everything worked.

However, my son wanted to set me up with a wireless connection. so he disconnected the old tower and connected his old laptop to the desktop monitor & keyboard, and laser mouse. Then he attempted to download XP, but that didn't work. So now he says he has to download ME to get things to work. I always thought ME, as well as NT were garbage and he told me that it was for certain applications. I dunno.

Whaddya think of a laptop, with wireless connection, to a desktop monitor & keyboard and laser mouse, with an OS of ME? Is this crazy or what?

lol do what yah got to do. you should see some of the Frankenstiens my wife has come up with to retrieve info off an old hard drive

I liked ME, but everybody always told me what crap it was. But I still liked it. Xp still bugs me sometimes.

ME was trash. They rushed to much on it. I haven't had any problems with XP. nothing like I hear everyone else having. 95 was crap and didn't even support USB. 98 was ok, 2000 was just about like ME. Heck they were both done on the millennium. I know alot of people use lenix because they hate windows, but I duno. It does everything i want it to do, and if it doesn;t its probably because the hardware isn't sufficient. For XP to run smoothly the PC HAS to have at a Minimun 512 memory. Now I was running it with 256 and didn't have a problem. It just lags a little bit. No problems crashing or anything like that. It always happens when I run some other program and try to modify this that and the other. What is your son trying to do Jimscott? Why go wireless if the laptop canot go wireless? I have wireless in my house, but nothing is connected wireless at the momment, BUT the wireless router also routes wired stuff too, and I have two computer connected to the same interest connection. The main PC is runing XP and the slower one is running 98 (its only a pent 2 so can't put XP on it). I am ready to see Vista. I hear its going to be awsome, but we already have the naysayers on it too. Granted windows probably could streamline thier code a little and make things run a little faster, but it does what its suposed to do. Heck it seems sometimes that my 98 machine pulls up the start menu faster than my XP machine. But I also know my XP machine can do a heck of alot more than my 98 machine can. I;m ready to upgrade PCs again. Thinking about a dual core or dual processor machine. What about dual, dual core processor machine. I wonder if that would work and how much to set it up. LMAO Oh don't fprget about water cooling and OCing. Back on subject Jim do what you need to do to get your info off the PCs, but if its just to get the net up on multiple machines go with XP. If its having a problem loading XP onto the machine might want to check the memory. I had a 512 stick go bad and didn;t know it when I built this machine. It would always error when I installed XP. I took out that stick and all was well. I used mem diagnostics to test the memory on the machine. Can get it from windows and you put it onto a floppy that it makes bootable and bot with it. Can also put it onot a CD, but I am not good at doing ISO disks yet. Goodluck

ME is a fart festering in the stomach of the computer industry.

How about a laptop to a wireless access point or proper dhcp server instead of an ad hoc connection? Oh wait this is windoze we are talking about. Never mind.

If it works and he gets what he needs from it, let him enjoy it. It isn't my method but my method isn't the only way to do something and have it work.

Unfortunately, this baby-boomer isn't all that experienced with computers and vernacular. So I have to depend upon my son and the like to get me through things. The idea in mind is to be able to use the Internet without tying up the phone connection, since it is the only line we have for both. I am trusting that he know what he is doing.
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Sincewe can't go out and buy new things, we have to use what is available to us. I'll have to ask him why XP can't be installed and why he has to go with ME. It's all over my head!
biggrin.gif

Tell your son that you want a real operating system installed like ... say ..umm... FreeBSD (the one I use). And if asks why, you telll him because I am the daddy that's why. And when he is done installing it. Remind him to take out the garbage.

Well, he couldn't download a free OS legally, so I unplugged his apparatus and now have desktop everything again and I tie up the phone line.

uhhhh, yes you can download all of the BSDs for free legaly, and almost all the versions of linux for free legally. There are also several others that are free.

Now you can't do that with windows but then again that is a windows issue.

Back