What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something in my terrarium

I have a 10 gallon aquarium I'm using as a terrarium with several CPs (D. spatulata, D. adelae, Neps). The Drosera have in a couple of spots a white cotton-like mass. Is this some kind of fungus or mold? Do I not have enough air circulation? Please take a look at the pics below.

Plant-1.jpg

Plant-2.jpg

It is mold on the insects. It is from stagnant air.:)

The spatulata and adelae don't need to be kept in a terrarium / high humidity environment. I keep mine open tray. The water in which the post sit seems to be adequate for them. I would pick the mold out with a pair of tweezers.

What your photographs show, as was mentioned by SunPitcher are insect prey that due to high humidity, low light and air movement are being attached by fungi. In some cases I have seen the infection move to affect the leaves, this can happen, so I recommend attention to the suggestion to increase light, air movement, and reduce humidity some.

Back