What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some white stuff appearing on my nep...

Hello. I bought a N.Sanguinea RED from ebay. After I got the plant and opened it, it was packet in peanut foam or something and the plant it self didn't even have a lid or a cover to protect it from getting damaged during the delivery.

After I cleaned it off and put it into my lowland tank it was doing fine. 4-5 days later it starts to get some crispy white stuff on it's leafs and all over all the leafs and even some half died pitchers. I don't know what happened my temps in the tank are 79'F and humidity is always 80-82%. Can someone tell me what's wrong and what should I do to get rid off this.
sad.gif

Phil, give people some time to respond to this you just posted this 1 hr ago and then ask 1 hr later if anyone knows, just relax someone will reply like I am now.

Ok, perhaps it is nectar secretions? My N. bicalcarata secrets nectar then it turns white and gelly-like with a crusty layer sorta like pine tree sap. I wouldn't think it is a disease..perhaps more of the peanut shipping particles are still on it?

No its not he peanut stuff because I cleaned it all off. And when I do clean it off it keeps coming back.
mad.gif
Nice try though
biggrin.gif

I dont think i would ever buy from Ebay, although i never have, i have heard alot of ppl that have recieved poorly conditioned plants, I would only purchase plants from legitiment companies, anyways, I think it could be a fungus? I read about something like that, I will try to find it.
Kevin

You could try re-potting it(assuming it was pre-potted) and before potting it, dunk it in clean water to wash it good. It will also fill the pitcher when you do that to keep them from dehydrating.

Regards,

Joe

Really hard to tell from your description on what it might be.

Other thing I noticed is you said you put it in your lowland setup. N. sanguinea is a highland plant. 80 degrees is ok for daytime but the plant would like it to cool off during the night.

Tony

Did you wash the peanut stuff off with hard water? If you were that might explain the crusty stuff reappearing.

No I didn't wash it with hard water. Can it really be because its in a lowland tank?
wink.gif
Can I just use 3336Wp on it. I got pretty mad at this white stuff so Iput rubbing alchol on it and it went away right as sonn as i touche it lts see what happenes. I will reply tommorow if anythng appears. Was it okay ot put rubbing alchol on it.
confused.gif

No I don't think it is because of the lowland conditions. That was only a general point that you might not want to keep it that way long term.

Careful on the alcohol. Too much and you can damage the plant. Sounds to me like it is the wax on the leaf surface your seeing....

T

I am 100% sure its hard water . probably the previous wner heard that nepeenthes are quite fogive about tap water and he probably used it .its not fungus and be very carful with the rubbing alcohal . what i would do is repot the plant to be on the safe side .its the calcium or lime build up .

Goldtrap, how can you be so sure about your claims and you haven't even seen a photo of the plant and it's problem?

Will I repotted the plant let it set in distilled water and there was nothng wrong with the soil or the roots. I had the plant for about 2 weeks now and after I put that alchol on the white stuff it is gone, but I am not to shure if this will come back it has only been 24hours so far i will undate if anything came back. I called the company that was selling this plant and they said they have been in business for a long time and always use distilled water and never plain water from the sink. So it is denfintly not hard water. I seen pics off what happenes when a plant is watered with hard water. The white stuff that i had on my plant looks nothing like that. Does anyone know how I should use 3336WP if this stuff does come back. I want to mix the 3336 in a gallon jug can anyone tell me how much I should solution I should mix with the water.
confused.gif
Thanx and thanx fo the answer I have so far.
smile.gif

Back