What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Hey guys. Here are some pictures that I took today of various things growing outside. Some of the pictures didn't turn out the best. I was trying to hurry, my camera battery was dying on me.

S. rubra
[
P1010531.jpg

S. x Dana's Delight
P1010352.jpg

New additions: S. cobra nest (rear) and S. x Lady Bug front.
P1010526.jpg

D. filiformis var. filiformis "Florida Giant" flower
P1010354.jpg

My D. x Marston Dragon is starting to look more like a dragon. It's getting ready to put out it's first multi-forked leaves.
P1010468.jpg

S. purp finally showing new growth. I had a nice sized new pitcher but the hail storm made short work of that.
P1010535.jpg

Pot of Utrics and such.
P1010556.jpg

P1010558.jpg

Devil's Claws that didn't make it to the garden.
P1010539.jpg

Bog One:
P1010542.jpg

Bog Two: One of these days I'll stake those tall pitchers.
P1010543.jpg

Water Garden, need to let the water overflow again to wash out some of the green water.
P1010541.jpg

Miniature Banana Trees. One is the Vanilla ice cream flavor, the other, sweet red bananas. Don't know which one is which anymore.
P1010540.jpg

Extra strawberry plants that I'm trying to keep to replace what doesn't make it in the garden.
P1010529.jpg

Extras that I don't have room for. I don't know what I'm going to do with them. Anyone interested? I can't guarantee that all of them will survive. Beside it is a tray of newly planted veggie seed.
P1010528.jpg

My twist on the Topsy Turvy upside down tomato planter. It's an Oceanspray juice container (Cranberry in my case). I have two so far, plan to make some more.
P1010530.jpg

I'm having trouble finding my pots when it comes time to water my tomatoes. They are about 2 and a half feet tall. There's four different varieties pictured (cherry, brandywine, roman, and beefsteak, not listed in any particular order).
P1010544.jpg

Mini Roses
P1010545.jpg

Lettuce
P1010548.jpg

Various cactus and succulents, the hail storm damaged some of them pretty bad.
P1010555.jpg

P1010551.jpg

P1010553.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Crystal

I don't understand the tomato thingy. It confuses me.

The cap of the juice container has a small hole drilled out. A seedling was place in the hole in the cap and has grown into what you see there. It just helps take up less space. I don't really know what the benefits are of growing them 'upside down'. They just horseshoe around anyway to grow right side up. It's just kinda neat I guess. Sorry for the confusion.

Crystal

Nice plants! And lots of them. I like your spiralis. :)

The cap of the juice container has a small hole drilled out. A seedling was place in the hole in the cap and has grown into what you see there. It just helps take up less space. I don't really know what the benefits are of growing them 'upside down'. They just horseshoe around anyway to grow right side up. It's just kinda neat I guess. Sorry for the confusion.

Crystal

There can be no benefit from growing them like that...you will see what i mean when they going to make some big heavy tomatoes and you're not going to be able to place a pole for support....other than that they look cool!!!!!!

I've seen the upside down tomatoes work well actually... not all of them might I add but I have seen some produce nice tomatoes without having a problem... I think the tomato type would an important piece of that situation.

glad to hear your dragon is putting out its first true leaves it'll be catching prey with even more ease now!

nice looking plants!

Thanks for the compliments guys :). The tomato thing was just an experiment. I'm certainly not hurting for them. I think we planted something like 35 to 50 plants in the garden.

Crystal

Love the plants and set up. Nothing like NC for temperate CPs.

Nice looking plants!

NC is kind to me when it comes to growing most temperates, especially since I've finally found the balance between too wet and too dry. I can't use smaller pots like many people use on here.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Much appreciated!

Crystal

Nice grill!

oh, and awesome plants too! I love the upside-down planters-very imaginative way to not buy the expensive one in the stores. Seems to work wonderfully.

Gotta love the grill! It's really too big, but we use it anyway a few times a week :-D.

Thanks for the compliments Basso. I thought the upside down tomato thingy would be neat to try. I don't know what will happen once they start producing fruit, but for now it's neat to look at.

Crystal

I thought the upside down tomato thingy would be neat to try. I don't know what will happen once they start producing fruit, but for now it's neat to look at.
l

Well, then you pick and eat them!

no grill is TOO big-your portions are just too small! That one would be great for ribs on one far side and wood on the opposite side. I use my biggest grill for slow smokin' ribs like that. It is why I bought it.

Sorry to veer off of the topic. Ok-back on now.

ilbasso;878327 and Crissytal said:
Nice grill!

is this a CP forum or a Grill forum :poke:
nice pic's tough :-))

I really like your bogs/water garden and your succulents. That tomato planter is cool.

I have the same grill,Chargriller Pro with smoker box.Oh and nice plants to!

Back