What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some pics of sprouted leaves

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
This is what they look like, about a month after having been sprouted in a baggie, etiolation and all:

IMG_0142-1.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Cool. Pings have only recently begun to catch my eye, but they do have their own humble charm.

When I first saw a ping at a Home Depot (P. primuliflora), I almost didn't buy it. It was uninteresting. But when it flowered, then it held some appeal. The Mexican butterwort flowers are even more attractive. They're also very easy cultivate and propogate through leaf cuttings.

You got yourself a little piece of ping heaven. Wow. I love that they can propogate in a small amount of space.

I just pulled a few leaf pullings out of my baggie the other day. It was surprisingly simple to get these to sprout like that, so I appreciate the tips in previous threads. I can't wait to see them grow and then... propagate like mad! Probably the easiest plant ever to propagate.

xvart.

Currently I only own primuliflora, but I did pop off a few of the more mature leaves when I repotted it. I cant wait to see if anything happens too.

Nice pics again, jimscott!

Nice Jim.

Growergray...don't underestimate a ping. :) Some people pass over pings thinking they are dull. But really, once you get a few you really come to appreciate their "greasiness" and beauty. The flowers are pretty but so are the plants themselves.

I'd encourage anyone to grow pings.

Stacker...Prims don't reproduce the same way Mexi pings do. They make plantlets off the tips of the leaves and you don't need to pull them off for them to do that.

Currently I only own primuliflora, but I did pop off a few of the more mature leaves when I repotted it. I cant wait to see if anything happens too.

Yep that's all I have too. Nice pics!!!

i got some of Jim's pings a little while ago (im getting there with getting yours...hang tight). they are all doing beautifully right now.
i love all my pings. no flowers yet im saddened to say :( they do have their own little specialness!
Alex

Wow...look at all the baby pings!! :-D

Nice Jim.

Growergray...don't underestimate a ping. :) Some people pass over pings thinking they are dull. But really, once you get a few you really come to appreciate their "greasiness" and beauty. The flowers are pretty but so are the plants themselves.

I'd encourage anyone to grow pings.

Stacker...Prims don't reproduce the same way Mexi pings do. They make plantlets off the tips of the leaves and you don't need to pull them off for them to do that.

.....and then I look at what Joseph, Peter, Andrew and(?) are posting on the forums, that have been under great artificial lighting, and think, man, that red & green leaf look is pretty amazing!

Why don't people find Pings attractive?

I think their sticky leaves ROCK and the way they catch bugs. The leaves themselves are interesting. My P. primuliflora had a very nice flower before rot succumbed these two bulbs it had and then the plant died mostly. Before it died, though, it produced a shoot, and this shoot I repotted and is still green, so my P. primuliflora lives on! If it dies though, my primuliflora will go.

My P. John Rizzi has yet to flower but is producing a rapid escapade of dewy leaves, which have caught many fruit flies. I saw a twitching fruit fly on it earlier, and I took a toothpick, grabbed a little dew from next to it, and wrapped it around it, and did this many times, like latching it to it. It was like a little prison! Kind of fun to do, poor bug! I really can't wait for it to flower though, but once it has enough sticky leaves it'll slow the leaf making process down, and these fruit flies should provide some valuable nutrients to encourage flowering.

As for the pictures.

WOAH! Nice! Many pings! That's awesome!

Here are updated pics:

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0039-1.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Many are almost adult sized. Children... they grow so quickly!

Back