What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some older pics of mine.

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
These are older pics. I have to get in the habit of taking pics again.

One of my faves. Smells like lemons.

Orchids007.jpg

This is one of my first orchids.

picsfromtheGH002.jpg

picsfromtheGH001.jpg

I just love this little didy. Small but very fragrant

Orchids036cropped.jpg

This one should be blooming again soon!

bulbocareyanum2.jpg

This one My bloom soon too and smells like black liquorish.

022.jpg

I hope to post more soon.

I have never had an orchid before and honestly I do not know anything about them but these are quite lovely.

They are the largest group of flowering plants in the world. Easy once you get the hang of them for the most part. They live on trees so have a definite wet dry cycle on a daily basis. They are not hard. Just different.

They are not hard. Just different.

Unfortunately, most folks' experiences with orchids are the ones they pick up at the grocery store or BBS. Plants which are typically potted in a media that most people will have no success with, and crappy care instructions to boot. Not to mention all the abuse they receive while in the stores' "tender care".

Orchids also have some of the most intricate pollination strategies of the plant world.

chasing_smiley.gif

That they do Dragon. Most are only pollenated by one insect and the plant is adapted to that one insect. The Angreacums come to mind. Or the species that mimic their pollenator like the gongora and others.

Plants which are typically potted in a media that most people will have no success with, and crappy care instructions to boot.

SO TRUE! This is why I point people to the book "Ortho's All about orchids" It is a great primer and I encourage a repot as soon as the plant stops flowering, if bought in flower. I also instruct them on the squewer method of watering for beginers.

JB_OrchidGuy,

You have several blooming beautiful Cats. I have few of them; they grow well but not flower. How do you do it? Thanks.

Flasker, if your catts are not flowering they need higher light. The plant will grow fine in lower light, but will not flower. If the roots look good and the plants look healthy then light is your problem. Have some pics of your non flowerers?

very nice orchids JB! thanks for sharing with us!

The last red one just came into flower again. Deepest red coloration yet. I will get pics when I can. I Aldo have another mini and den rigidum in flower again. I love the orchids for the once a year bamm and the bros and cps for the year round wow.

Thanks guys. I hope to share more soon.

Flasker, if your catts are not flowering they need higher light. The plant will grow fine in lower light, but will not flower. If the roots look good and the plants look healthy then light is your problem. Have some pics of your non flowerers?
I will post my pictures later because I could not upload pictures now. Thank JB

Love the Bulbophyllum! I hope to grow some one day. They're so strange that they're cool.

Nice plants :) Whats the orchid in the 2nd or 3rd picture?

The second pic is Catt. Jack Cole x Louise Powel and the 3rd pic is Den rigidum ( I think it has been reclassified now, but still can be cross referenced) The Den rigidum, the flower cluster is only roughly the size of a quarter or so. It is a mini.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Wire man, I love bulbos. I love all the strange and unusual orhids. Gongora is another one I am very fond of.

Love that bulbo! I just re-inherited a couple of my old ones (Daisy Chain and Elizabeth Ann) and they're putting out some new growth in my lowland tank.

That is awesome pills. I love bulbos. I have to seek out more! LOL
And that bulbo would be careyanum.

Back