What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some moss

attachment.php

It's some type of moss. I don't know whether to trust it or not, because I seem to have about 3 different types cropping up in different quadrants of my terrarium. This one is springing up from a bit of dry sphagnum that I buried in the soil around the roots of my D. Floating. Of course, the sphag hasn't been dry in months and the humidity is usually between 70-80% in my terrarium. These factors combined with the bright lighting, could this be new sphag growing up for me? I'd be very happy is it was.

PS: I wish I could post larger pictures to my profile. As it is, I get wonderful quality, but it's negated by the fact that the pics have to be so small.

Last edited:
PS: I wish I could post larger pictures to my profile. As it is, I get wonderful quality, but it's negated by the fact that the pics have to be so small.

I wish you could post larger pictures in the main text, I had to use x3 on the magnifier for this one. Have a thought for we ancient ones.

It's a moss, it's not doing any harm. If you think it may just pot it up in its own and see what happens.

I wish you could post larger pictures in the main text, I had to use x3 on the magnifier for this one.

That's what I'm saying! I don't have an account for any sort of Photo-hosting, (Used to, but never used it enough to ever remember the stupid password) so I have to use pics that I've posted to my profile here, and for whatever reason, the site only allows for hosting of micro-pics :crazy:

Last edited:
Ah! So I'll keep the magnifier at the ready then

Looks like sphagnum to me, though as fred said, even if it isn't sphagnum, it's not going to harm your plants.

One question I have for you then, why is "decorative moss" (as described in The Savage Garden) lethal to cps? And is that the only one that will harm them?

One question I have for you then, why is "decorative moss" (as described in The Savage Garden) lethal to cps? And is that the only one that will harm them?

Sometimes "decorative" moss is treated with dyes and preservatives to keep it looking fresh and alive even though it's bone dry. Living moss (unless it's a 3" thick carpet that chokes out roots) isn't harmful in the least.

Looks like baby sphag growing. Theirs many types of sphag far more then people think.. Depends what kind you put but the roots was it a smaller sized sphag or a big lush kind?
Regardless i don't think it's hurting anything :)

Ah! So I'll keep the magnifier at the ready then

Just as a general comment: I freaking love your sense of humor. I can't express that more fully. Especially since I imagine it being said in a British accent, too. Every other post gives me a chuckle.

Last edited:
Oh Kevin, steady on. you'll ruin my reputation.

I've plucked different mosses from all over my yard to create a patchwork around my Sarracenia. Never had a problem. In fact I laid a bunch over some D. capensis last year, forgot about them and was delighted when they erupted through with no problem this year. Your photograph looks just like what my spaghnum looks like as it spreads to bare areas.

Oh, nice! This news pleases me. Thanks very much!

Apart from the fact that this is no sphagnum moss (the little leafs give it away) a very amusing thread. But maybe some will turn up at this place later on.

Last edited:
Indeed, that isn't Sphagnum, its that "junk moss" that some people refer to as "star moss". Its the default stuff that spontaneously appears in peat-based soils - probably Tortula ruralis. It isn't going to do any harm, unless it is growing in competition with small, slow-growing seedlings (such as Nepenthes or Cephalotus) in which case it can outgrow the seedlings and tend to smother them. Judge accordingly.

That's what I'm saying! I don't have an account for any sort of Photo-hosting, (Used to, but never used it enough to ever remember the stupid password) so I have to use pics that I've posted to my profile here, and for whatever reason, the site only allows for hosting of micro-pics :crazy:

I used to not allow registered users to host any photos at all here, it was saved only for paid members. Instead, for those that really needed to post photos, I made it so they could post up to 25 photos hosted by me for free of size 400x400px.

On the other hand, paid/thank you/green members are able to post up to 500 photos of 600x600px. You can see more info on the benefits of upgrading here: 1 Year Thank You membership FlyTrapShop

Otherwise, there are plenty of free hosting sites out there... sign up for another or try to recover your password of the one you mentioned above. =)
Andrew

Back