What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Microscope pictures

Hello everyone!  I just thought i'd post some pics that i took through my microscope.  No microscope pics of cps yet, but eventually i'll take some.  To take these, I used a regular digital camera and held it up to the eyepiece like Darcie recommended.  They turned out a little bit dark so I ran them through adobe photoshop to adjust the contrast and lighting and here they are:

Some plant cells (green pigments are the chloroplasts):
Spider%20Plant%20Cells%20web.jpg

A spider miter that was on one of my mom's plants (luckily her infected plant was down stairs and all my plants are up stairs
smile.gif
):
100_0276.JPG

More pictures to come.
smile.gif

-buckeye

neat pics. what plant was that you took a picture of?
hey, are you a student or something?

smile.gif

Whoa! Thanks buckeye (and Darcie too!) for giving an idea of how to teach my lessons on cell structure better...take photos beforehand, teach in powerpoint, then get the kids to look for the structures under their microscopes!!!  
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Btw, did you use an adaptor? Or did you just place your digicam onto the eyepiece? Ouch, that would scratch the lens!
wow.gif

Nice! but i have to ask the samr thing: did you remplace the ocular, leaving the slot empty and putting your digital camera in the 'hole', or just but your lense against the ocular?

I'll try to do the same with the dissection microscope we have at school...

Looking back at pics answered ine of my question (I'm dumb :p), we can see the pointer in the picture, so the ocular lense was still there :p

Had to work a lot with your cam to get these results?

that is so cool! i have a microscope with a camra on it, but i cant figure out how to work it... i think i lost the adapter thing for the film to go into. I'll have to take a few pics like that with my digi cam
biggrin.gif
I'll try to get a picture of my drosophilla, you can see their DNA under a low power (15x i think) microscope!
ghostface.gif

Wow so many questions!
smile.gif
Ok...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what plant was that you took a picture of?

The plant cells are of a spider plant leaf.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]hey, are you a student or something?

Yes I am. I'm a freshman in college at Ohio State.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Btw, did you use an adaptor? Or did you just place your digicam onto the eyepiece? Ouch, that would scratch the lens!

No i didn't use an adapter. The lens on my camera and the lens in the microscope eyepiece are recessed so they can't actually touch except plastic to plastic. But i still left a tiny gap between the plastic surrounding the eyepiece and the plastic surrounding the camera lens, just to be safe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Had to work a lot with your cam to get these results?

Yes it does take a little adjusting to get everything lined up. Most of the time i had the camera zoomed clear in (3x). Sometimes I had to move the camera around and sometimes i had to move the slide. It got easier after i did it several times.

If anyone has more questions or needs me clarify just ask!!
smile.gif

-buckeye

Oh I forgot, I have some more pictures.  Both are of a tiny D. rotundifolia seedling which is smaller than a pinhead.

Here it is under 40x (The arrow is pointing to a fungus gnat larva):

D.%20rotundifolia%2040x%20arrow.jpg

And under 100x:
D.%20rotundifolia%20100x.JPG

-buckeye

Back