What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some advice on soil media for Nepenthes

Hi all

I am back...

With more questions as I have a Nepenthes, can someone please advise me please.

I was wondering can you use the same mix as in VFT like in Sarr's etc

Many thanks Noddy

They usually like airy mixes that don't stay waterlogged.

They usually like airy mixes that don't stay waterlogged.

That pretty much sums it up. Specifically, most of us use, in different combinations: peat / perlite / LFS / orchid bark / pine needles / sand.... If you use peat, mix with perlite amd or anything that has a grain size that allows for good drainage.

i generally use LFS until the pot gets bigger than 4 inches than yah have to add something to it like orchid bark cause a 6 or 8 inch pot full of LFS will compact....that basic idea will handle neps 95% of the time.....will other mixes work? sure......do i stick to it 100% of the time? no.....but that there is a pretty safe bet....

A 1:1:1:1 mix of peat, perlite, vermiculite, and orchid bark works well for me.

I think a peat/perlite mix would not be as well-drained as it should be; I'm not sure that even something like a 1:2 peat/perlite mix would be suitable.

A 1:1:1:1 mix of peat, perlite, vermiculite, and orchid bark works well for me.

I think a peat/perlite mix would not be as well-drained as it should be; I'm not sure that even something like a 1:2 peat/perlite mix would be suitable.

there are alot of variables to take into account....i grew a ventricosa in waterlogged pure peat for 2 or 3 years, but it had grown in it from seed......peat and perlite can work but would depend on alot of variables and would have to be done on the fly.....LFS and LFS plus orchid bark is by far a safer bet than anything more complicated....especially for someone just starting out as it rarely fails....but this is just my opinion....

The biggest killer of nepenthes is probably rotten roots by being kept too wet. Some species will tolerate it but the majority will not, you can use peat and perlite on most species, but only if you are very carefull with watering or you use a lot of perlite, or even 100% perlite. Spaghnum is also a major problem if it becomes comapacted or you give to much water or your growing conditions are a bit off. Give the roots as much aeration as possible, open well drained media, but keep them moist.

actually the biggest issue is to wet with no air in the mix.....use an airy enough mix, a pot with holes in the sided and most can sit in a tray of water....the issue is no air in and around their roots, not being too wet....

I use a few mixes ranging from pure lfs, lfs/perlite, lfs/peat/perlite, lfs/orchid bark/peat/perlite, but my favorite mix is super ridiculous....peat/perlite/osmunda fiber/orchid bark/horticultural sand/lfs

Can I ask what is LFS please, & vermiculite is that light yellow chipping stuff.

I have perlite, peat and orchid bark...

So it could be a 1111 mix as stated then...

Next question is when do you repot, I can get a image on the plant at the moment and may be someone can advise me.

Thanks Noddy

LFS = long fibered sphagnum.........as for how often to repot, it depends on growth, your soil and just how sensitive the individual plant is to having its roots disturbed...

If you go to Lowes look for this, this is LFS= Long Fibered Sphagnum:

12.jpg

It's about $4,99 a bundle and will become live sphagnum in a few months time.

While you're there look for a product similar to either of these:

SchultzOrchidMix.jpg
orchidbark.jpg

It doesn't have to be these brands but what this is, is chipped up Fir Tree Bark and is used to pot up orchids (the Shultz brand from Lowes also has pumice and charcoal added). You can use shredded Cypress Mulch instead of Orchid Barkor Orchid Mix. It's cheaper than the orchid products but you end up with a gigantic 2 cubic foot bag of it and if you have only one Nep, the smaller bag of orchid bark/orchid mix will probably do.

One thing that should be stressed is that not all dried moss products sold for orchid cultivation are necessarily long fiber sphagnum; in fact, it is more of a rarity than not, even today. When I purchased dried sphagnum from Lowe's in the past, it was always marketed as Chilean-origin LFS.

Perhaps it is simply repackaging? I cannot tell from the photograph. I would also stay away from any Schultz products -- which may contain some fertilizers, "special mineral" additives, or wetting agents . . .

My favorite compost for most Nepenthes involves, by volume, a 2:1:1:1 mix of live sphagnum, along with pumice, perlite, and fine orchid bark. The compost is long-lasting, airy, and not easily compacted. Barring that, I've grown many others in live sphagnum only.

To add further insult to injury, I also water most of the Nepenthes -- in orchid pots or net pots for the most part -- via the verboten shallow tray system without loss . . .

Back