What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil?

the soil in which to plant pings has been long debated, for those new to the world of pings this is a nightmare, so can anyone help clear this up.

Use a soil mixture that has a little more drainage. I use 60/40 perlite/pete mix. LFS will work fine as well. Just make sure if you use pete, to use a 60/40 mix of either perlite/pete or sand/pete.

Gosh I hope "pete" doesn't mind being mixed with all those other ingredients LOL. I think you mean "peat" as in sphagnum peat.

Yeah, and doesn't 'pete' add inappropriate nutrients? Sorry, couldn't resist!

Greetings,

I'm having good success with Mexican pings using equal parts: peat,perlite,vermiculite,sand, and high fired clay (sold as water plant soil in Lowes).  I've noticed that the roots of pings only go down into the soil a little ways, so any mix that holds moisture should work.  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yeah, and doesn't 'pete' add inappropriate nutrients? Sorry, couldn't resist!

Pete only adds inappropriate nutrients to the soil when he begins to decompose.

Brian

Santiago:

I suggest you read Philcula's post in the 'Mexican pings" thread on this forum.  You will find a lot of useful advice in it.  In my nine months or so of growing Mexican Pinguicula, I have become convinced that the lighter and airier and simpler the medium, the happier the pings.  My healthiest plants are windowsill grown in shallow pots of LFS and coarse perlite that are never allowed to dry out but are also never allowed to sit in water for any length of time.  I had to repot the majority of my pings over the course of the spring and summer since many started to languish in the complicated, Savage Garden-inspired potting mix I had them in.  All of them made a swift recovery after being repotted and have never shown even the slightest sign of decline since.  A lot of people on this forum and elsewhere have had astounding success growing Mexican pings in peat-based mixes (some even in pure peat), but I think it may be harder to maintain health and vigor this way if they are to be grown under variable windowsill conditions and not raised under fluorescents with strict climate control.  To each his own.
smile.gif

Cheers,
Corey

LOL. It was late, I meant peat moss. Funny though haha. I came back to read this and couldn't understand what you were talking about. Too funny.

Amid serious discussion, some amount of levity is a must! At least you didn't make a typo with capensis, as I have!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 26 2005,4:03)]Amid serious discussion, some amount of levity is a must! At least you didn't make a typo with capensis, as I have!
Been there, done that, lol! Twice! I though someone was changing my posts.
Ispahan-very interesting. I too, use D'Amato's mix(the book version works better than his old one of 50/50 perlite/vermiculite, possibly with a tad of peat), and have wondered why I don't see more mixes with LFS. I have though about that very mix in wide, shallow pots.
Cheers,

Joe

Back