What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil mix

What is the best soil mix for terrestial utrics like subulata, bisquamata, sandersonii and livida? I don't have much sand right now, so that is out of the question.

If not sand, do you have any LFS?

from personal experiance, U. livida and U. bisquamata do fine in pure peat. U. sandersonii really hasnt shown a soil preferance for me, pure peat to pue LFS and most any mix inbetween has worked. as long as the surface is damp, U. sandersonii should grow. the same goes for U. subulata

Jimscott- Yes, I do have LFS, peat,and perlite for a soil mix.

I don't have a sophisticated system of mixing media, other than providin more sand for pigmy dews and more airiness for Neps, so I tend to mix sand & peat and then topdress with LFS. The dried LFS eventually becomes alive. It is working for me. And Rattler's approach is giving him much success as well.

sandersonii will bloom well with water about 1 cm above the surface of the medium at all times

I use pure fluffed rinsed peat for most of my terresterials and it works fine.

Just got mine a couple weeks ago but they seem to be doing good in 2:1:1 Peat:perlite:LFS

Back