What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil Media

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Store bought CP's are either in sphagmum peat of in something that looks like rehydrated LFS. I don't know for sure what Botanical Gardens (Lowes) and Little Pot Of Horrors (Home Depot) uses, but I don't see sand. perlite, etc... Why is that? Also, is Canadian Peat what comes in the larger bags sold at Home Depot?

The big mass Tissue Culture companys that lowes and Home Depot buy from have some knowledge on CPs so they go with the easiest all around CP mix, pure Long fibered sphagnum or pure peat.

As for buying peat moss, get the bales that specifically say product of Canada CANADIAN SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS. Don'
t buy Michigan sedge peat or sedge peat, they contain way too many salts and organic nutrients that will affect CPs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Jan. 17 2004,18:24)]Store bought CP's are either in sphagmum peat of in something that looks like rehydrated LFS. I don't know for sure what Botanical Gardens (Lowes) and Little Pot Of Horrors (Home Depot) uses, but I don't see sand. perlite, etc... Why is that? Also, is Canadian Peat what comes in the larger bags sold at Home Depot?
They use ******* cheap media is what they do
mad.gif
 Fill it up with pure peat 2-3 inches and then toss the origenal sphagnum plug the plant was grow in on top.  Grrrrr, if I hadn't caught that horrid layering in the plants I got from there, they would have died for sure.

... sorry, end rant.

If it doesn't say Canadian Peat Moss on the lable it isn't.  A good general mix is 50% sphagnum peat and 50% perlight, both well rinsed in distilled water.

Thanx! I will do that.

I was just at Lowes tonight and bought a bale of the Canadian sphagnum peat for a little over $5.75.The guy working there and I had to pry them apart,they were frozen in the outdoor section.He said I should have been here 2 weeks ago, I could have bought it for under $4.00.He said they have jacked up the prices knowing spring is on it's way.Oh well, I'm well supplied now
biggrin.gif

Mark Wilson

The small bags of spag at Lowe's is Chilean spag.

Back