What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil in Ziploc bags for years = Terrible for plants or Great?

• Thread starter Odysseus
  • Start date
Hey guys! Thanks for looking in on my thread, I need a consensus from those of you that might know.

3-5 years ago...the exact year I am not sure of. Long story short: While working at Disney from 2012-2015 I started up on my CPs again so I know roughly the time this was just not exactly. Back then I created a bunch of 2-gallon size ziploc bags of CP Soil mixtures.

These have been in the bags in a large tupperware storage box for 3-5 years!

Are these bags of 50/50 peat sand, peat perlite etc. CP soil a terrible or great idea to use for some new CPs?

I am guessing it could be fine because they are sterile, out of the light so didn't grow anything but they could also be terrible because of dark resting causing a number of negative qualities in the soil. I just don't know.

Any thoughts?

Images of Bags:
You can see how in one the water content sat at the bottom and has a discoloration. Could be fine or a sign of why NOT to use this soil.

5877793c-40c2-4d77-ad53-a2883a238ffb_zpsg4fyqs6n.jpg

Hmmmm..
Others may chime in and agree or disagree, but my opinion is to go with fresh mix. If the media had been mixed and DRY, in sealed bags or containers, might have been a different story. The fact that it was wet probably harbored mold, mildew and other icky stuff that you don't want around your plants. I would toss it and start over. Just my opinion, results may vary!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm..
Others may chime in and agree or disagree, but my opinion is to go with fresh mix. If the media had been mixed and DRY, in sealed bags or containers, might have been a different story. The fact that it was wet probably harbored mold, mildew and other icky stuff that you don't want around your plants. I would toss it and start over. Just my opinion, results may vary!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have to agree. I do tend to make media in bulk and most time have it on hand. however, I do make sure it is completely dry before a put it in a bag or whatever. It never stays bagged for too long as Im always potting or repotting something.
By it sitting in a sealed bag wet you just gave it the perfect environment to grow all sorts of nasty stuff.

Thanks for your opinions! Appreciate the help. Going to toss these. No reason to not go with fresh media. 😃

Thanks for your opinions! Appreciate the help. Going to toss these. No reason to not go with fresh media. 😃

By "toss" hopefully not in the garbage. I compost it or spread over the lawn.

By "toss" hopefully not in the garbage. I compost it or spread over the lawn.

Hey DragonsEye, I have not thrown them out. I just tossed them back in the bin I found them. BUT I was going to toss them, so thanks for the encouragement to go out somewhere and toss it into a field or something. I don't live in a place with a backyard anymore, living in an apartment complex and the green areas are brand new grass that everyone is requested to stay out of while the seed gets going.

So some field would have to do. :)

Although, at least in this area, the trash heads off to a landfill and the soil I throw away will end up being useful eventually as the landfill is a big heap of decomposing refuse anyway. I would imagine it all would end up in the same place ultimately. Far in the future but ultimately.

At least if I throw the soil contents of these bags into a field it can be of use right away! :D

Although, at least in this area, the trash heads off to a landfill and the soil I throw away will end up being useful eventually as the landfill is a big heap of decomposing refuse anyway.

Unfortunately, there often is very little decay in many landfills. The bacteria largely responsible for breaking down organic matter are typically aerobic (require O to live and "do their thing"). Landfills generally create anaerobic conditions which greatly curtails decay.

Unfortunately, there often is very little decay in many landfills. The bacteria largely responsible for breaking down organic matter are typically aerobic (require O to live and "do their thing"). Landfills generally create anaerobic conditions which greatly curtails decay.

Ahh that is a real frustrating shame about the reality of landfills!

Definitely glad I spread my unused old soils I the near by field. I feel way better about that. 😃

garden in a bag — literally, a potting soil bag. ... Gardening in a soil bag ... Tired of fighting bad soil and annual chickweed, Pinterest poster Lois Ruskell ... Next year, you can empty the topsoil into the garden and begin building up the beds. ... It's only good for shallow-rooted plants, like lettuce and tomatoes.

Back