What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So many questions...

well my question is..which drosera need dormancy? and which are the easiest to grow? which grow the fastest? and which grow the biggest?

so many questions..so little time!
smile.gif

thanks in advance for whoever answers!
smile_m_32.gif

I know binata need dormancy....

adelae seem to be doing good for me. Only ones so far that are liking me ;)

a little googling will answer your questions faster than we can
smile.gif

temperate, pygmies, tuberous need dormancy.
which species being easiest to grow depends on who your talking to and who's talking. for example, D. capensis is a weed in collections here in the states, but virtuallay impossible to grow in singapora.
Biggest depends on if you mean width or height.

The biggest drosera? Drosera Binata gets pretty big and they need a dormancy. There are a few types of tuberous sundews that get HUGE but Ive known them to be hard to grow.

A good incicator of the difficulty level involved may be seen on Rico's seedbank page where he breaks the species down easiest to hardest.

I agree with JLAP, if you do some homework regarding the species you want to grow, you will always learn more than you hoped for. It's hard to answer these sort of questions, because different conditions and techniques give different results.

Some generalizations:

Tropical - sub-tropicals are the easiest. These include csome South African Drosera, the D. spatulata forms, D. burmannii.

Seasonal care Drosera include South African winter growing species, Australian tuberous species, temperate Drosera species and the Pygmy Drosera.

The tropicals and subtropicals are pretty much evergrowing and do not need a lot of seasonal care. For the others mentioned, you will need to do some homework to really learn the ropes. I can tell you how they do for me in my conditions, and give you some pointers, but there is no substitute for your own observations and websearching lets you go to where the plants grow and study the weather patterns: highs, lows, humidity, and elevation are all revealing. Understanding how the plants grow in thir habitat tells you what you need to change in your own conditions to best match how the plants grow in their homes.

Personally, I look up where the type plant was taken from using this data base:

http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi

Once I have the name of the locality, I do a websearch on the annual weather there, seek the elevation information (mountains = cool), etc. I always learn something that helps make a little difference in my cultivation, and I can tell you that these little differences in conditions can produce some very significant improvements in CP culture. It also gives me a reason to explore my world from my armchair, see what the habitat looks like, look at the girls.....

Well, I hope you get my thrust here. We can't all be Fernando Rivadavia's exploring the ends of the earth where our beloved plants grow, but this much we CAN (and should) do. Homework like this is the way to be sure that you will have success, and it is best done BEFORE asking for a desired species. This might not be so important for some of the more common species: their losses are easily replaced. But, if you stick with this, you will in time find yourself wanting to grow the rare stuff. You wont want to lose those, and in order to even get them you will need to prove that you know your stuff. Few growers (myself included) will risk rare material on someone who has to ask them how to grow it! Those answers are out there, and you know what? I have been here a while now and I met VERY few CPer's that I thought were slow or dumb. For some reason, the plants attract a highly intelligent audience.

The plants attract and capture a lot more than bugs, probably part of their plant magic that they use to spread and survive hahaha!

See you in Brazil!

Back