What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So it begins.....

Spring is a beautiful time here in Kansas, everything turns from brown to green as the trees begin to wake up from their long cold sleep. But there is always the reminder that during this time of beauty danger is near. Living in Tornado Alley makes you aware of the weather and today started off just plain strange with a creepy stillness that is rare on the plains of Kansas.....so it was no suprise when tornados started popping up all over the state. This is, however, the first time in recorded history that our town (Osborne) has been hit with a tornado.....it was a small one but did tear stuff up, threw some semi trailers on top of cars and tossed around some trailer homes. Here is an article that mentions the days events, although Osborne was able to get away with minor damage the town of Greensburg didnt fair so well Friday....Greensburg is about the same size as Osborne, just a little smaller.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070506/ap_on_re_us/severe_weather_65

They say we are supposed to get thunderstorms until Tuesday night so we will see how things go. We are also in a flash flood watch until Monday....its been a wet year already considering the last 3 years we were in severe droubts that dried up about 1/2 the ponds in this area and dropped the level of the lakes to all time lows....

Well, Ive bored you all enough with news from the prairie.
Victoria

That's scary and I'm glad you're OK. Tornados were occasional visitors when I lived in Mississippi, but I never saw one. I do remember that foreboding weather that says someon's going to have trouble later.

My mother freaked out once because a radio report at work said a tornado had hit at the intersection where I was in high school. Us students were riding out the storm in the school's hallway, but the tornado was actually a couple miles away and just tore up some pecan trees.

Haven't you ever seen the Wizard of Oz?

Fortunately we don't have tornado's like that here in the U.K. but I'm sure it must be very frightening. We moan if it's extra windy so I don't know how we'd manage if we ever did have them !!

Julie

Yikes - I just saw a photo of Greensburg. That's stunning and I hope no one else is trapped.

Ah yes... the fun of growing up in Kansas. I'm sure the movie "Twister" will be checked out all over the place for a while now. I saw a tornado less than a mile away out at Clinton lake when I was real young growing up in Lawrence. Fun times... Glad you are fine and I hope you weather the rest of the storm, too.

xvart.

Remember in that book "cloudy with a chance of meatballs" how there was a tomato tornado?... lol...other than that tornadoes are scary... hope everything works out :)

I think tornadoes are fascinating. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a storm chaser. The movie Twister just made me want to do it more. ^^

I've never seen a tornado with my own eyes before though. I consider myself lucky and unlucky at the same time. Tornadoes are uncommon here in PA but not unheard of.

Whats wrong with tornados? You'd figure SOMETHING has to happen to keep Kansas a little bit interesting :p

Whats wrong with tornados? You'd figure SOMETHING has to happen to keep Kansas a little bit interesting :p

ROFL!!! A tornado is the only way Osborne would ever get mentioned! We are in a very rural location....a population of 2,000 and thats the largest town in the county, we are well over 100 miles from Walmart, Good Resturaunts (you know the ones that have real potatoes not instant potatoes), etc.

But this is tornado season so every storm can have the potential of producing one. Its all part of Kansas weather....we get the best and worst.....snow/blizzards in the winter, a beautiful spring with tornados, droubts and extreme heat in summers and fall is always so colorful. So I guess we have to take the good with the bad, just like everywhere else.

I think they are still trying to surch for people in Greensburg...not suprising since the town is leveled....

Victoria

Why would you want to live in a place like that?

I saw a tornado a few years back- we were on a bus coming back from the west coast, and right before leaving Saskatchewan and entering Manitoba I saw a weird lookin cloud in what was otherwise a clear sky- I actually snapped a pic while I pointed it out to my wife saying how it looked unusual- it sorta swirled and descended REALLY fast, and it was obviously a twister- suddenly everything was dark and CRAZY, the bus got hit with the biggest hailstones I've ever seen, so hard that the roof kind of collapsed and water started pouring in- it was real scary for about 5 minutes, then it just kinda stopped and the sky cleared and everything was fine again

Once was enough for me tho- and at least I have a pic to prove it :D

Why would you want to live in a place like that?

I wonder the same thing about people who live in the city.

Mabudon, feel free to post a pic if you can.

I should get it scnned- it was taken on an old-fashioned film camera :D

It turned out way better than I could have hoped tho, next time my scanner-owning buddy is over, I'll make the request ;)

Back