What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So i hear scott's peat is bad...

The subject says it all, I just recently found out that Scott's brand of peat moss is really bad for CPs. (After I had already used an entire bag. ¬_¬) I just realized that I have been using Scott's perlite and I just wanted to know if that was bad to use as well. Does anyone know?

I have had no luck with Scott's Peat. It has killed all my vfts and sundews but I am sure others have had success. I even have washed it many times and still ends up killing them. I am the worst when it come to transplanting anything vft or sundew. Although, I do have a good record with transplanting neps.
smile.gif

Yeah I know, I meant the perlite, not the peat. :/

hmmm I wonder if that's what I planted my VFTs in..... for some reason they just up and died.

Huh. Never really had a problem with Scotts (peat or perlite)...It's pretty much all I use, as that's what the local HD sells.

Are you sure you didn't somehow get peat with added fertilizers or something?

Chrono,

Perlite is most basically perlite. If you see anything but little white rocks in it, or it says something is added, then stay away from it. For the most part i'd go with any perlite on the market except for if miracle gro made it. To tell you the truth, anything made or packaged in a plant that also processes things on the same equiptment that could have fertilizer, or other things that could hurt our plants can always possibly mix in at some point. Just like a chocolate bar without nuts in it might randomly have a nut somewhere in it.

The safest bet i've found with peat moss is to go for the larger, press dried bales over the smaller bags. Sometimes the smaller bags have wetting agents and other things mixed in, and if you've ever noticed the stuff is always a little moist when you open a fresh bag. Kind of a bad thing considering soil in a dark, humid, stagnant environment is a breeding ground for more things than I can count.

Schloaty,

Was that the stuff we kept finding osmocote pellots in?

I bought some Scott's perlite that had fertilizer added, but it was clearly marked on the package. Check the package, or go to the store and check one there if you discarded it. I believe they do sell this type (possibly it was another brand but you need to be SURE!) and if you used it, it is bad mojo for sure. Repot immediately after going to bare root. Any time there is a question of substrate purity repotting is in order.

I have had no problem with their perlite at least.
smile.gif

On the back of my empty bag of peat moss it says. "100% Sphagnum Peat Moss" But on the front it says "Helps retain moisture and NUTRIENTS In POTTED MIXES" <---Could that be a subtle clue of secret fertilizer. :X Or am I looking into things too deeply? :/ Who knows!

add schultz to the problematic peat moss too. It had soo much fert yellow balls in it.

sheesh!! just made a new terrarium. Immediately removed it all...well...kinda after 10 hrs. but...its better than letting it die. Its atleast good that I kept the LFS warpped around the bulb. hopefully that protected it.

I know Lowe's seems to have stopped carrying Sta-Green sphagnum, so that all they carry now are miracle-gro perlite and moss, chock full of fertilizers. Had to go all the way to Home Depot for Scott's unfertilized perlite, and I cna say after about a month of having my plants in a sphagum/perlite mix they're doing fine (knock on wood
smile_n_32.gif
)

i have schultz peat moss...i never found any "orange balls" in it. at first i used scotts peat moss and scotts perilite...now its scotts perilite, schultz peat, sta-green vermiculite and i also have some schultz orchid mix...
Alex

I haven't been able to get any Schultz peat that didn't have slow release fertilizer contaminating it. The bag only listed Canadian Sphagnum Peat in the ingredients. Like Vertigo, I've started using the baled sphagnum peat. My plants look healthier and I don't have near the algae problems I did with Schultz peat.

i am using shultz as well... i thought it was just peat moss with nothing else. my plants look like crap but i attributed it to my poor plant keeping skills and the brutal texas heat.

Back