What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So how did every spend the 4th?

I spent the 4th with my girlfriend, reading up on recently purchased orchids, walking the dog (and seeing an indigo bunting!) and eventually going to see farenheit 9/11.

Has anyone else here seen that movie? It's kind of scary, especially the part about Saudi influence over president Bush. It seems to present information fairly well.

And, when I got on to post about it on another forum, I found this article posted... about Bush scaling back the endangered species act. I can't believe how much he's damaged conservation efforts.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5360575/

I am sick with a summer flu and worrying about PAK who is a bit under the weather too. Spent most of the day in bed (which is why I am posting at 5 am here). Ugh. Valerie cooked supper outside on the grill, and I did stagger outside to see the fireworks which I can see from my yard.

Oh come now, we all wanna see how the world ends after all don't we?
laugh.gif

The way things are going, maybe in another 4 years the only species left on the whole planet will be the roaches!

Before the earth is a crusty black sphere I decided I should go visit my favorite pond, so on July 4th I took a trip to the Spring Peeper (chorus frog) Meadow. I just finished the "article" for my website so here's the link, there's lots of botanical pics but no CPs that I found on this trip. Quite a few Aroids though! A Trip to The Spring Peeper Meadow of Chaska MN

I hope someone finds it interesting!

I spent the the day blowing my fingers off. My aunt hired me to shoot fireworks from 8:45 to 10:15. Then I bought some Blackcats at a firework stand that was open until midnight. On the 5th the ants were having a real hard time. Every mound I found got blown up.
smile_n_32.gif

BBQ at my sister in law's. Boy they have and brand new PHAT grill. Complete with a DEEP FRIER FOR GOODNESS SAKE!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

But what a meal!
Yesterday my wife and I got a babysitter and went to check out Spidey 2.
smile.gif

Working. It was a busy day. I finally left shift after 16.5 hours and arrived home with the fireworks just in time to light them off with my children.

I spent a great weekend up in Lake Tahoe. It was mostly relaxing, but we played golf, caught a bunch of trout in Donner Lake, which we then put in the smoker. MMMMM Smoked trout!

We also went wakeboarding, and walked the dogs a lot. A great time was had by all.
biggrin.gif
Oddly enough, we were all too tired to fight traffic and watch the fireworks. And it's too dangerous up there to light your own, so we watched some on TV. LOL!

Capslock

I went with my grandparents to my great uncle Philip's house for their 4th of July picnic and reunion, then we stayed to watch the fireworks. Y'all shoulda heard it!! I'm used to it in Florida, but at Phil's there are two parallel mountain ranges (which are two of the highest points in Massachusetts), and when each of the fireworks made the exploding BOOM noise, it ricochetted between the two ranges, making an eeire, wind-like, airy noise towards the end of the echoing... it was weird!

I had a very busy fouth, doping one of my favorite things. As some of you know I went to the Green Swamp this weekend. I spent the fourth searching one cp site in NC ad two sites in SC. I also some reptiles too. I have some interesting stories to tell. I'll tell the whole story very soon. I just got home about an hour ago. So I'm really tired, and I have to work tomorrow.
Keep better soon Tamlin and PAK.
Flytrapgurl is back, yeah!!
smile_m_32.gif

i cought pinkeye... to top that off, i had to take out my contacts, so now i cant see! AND what's worse is now that i can't see, i have a mind-numbing headache.

sucks to be me right now, but i'm glad you all had a good time (except for tamlin, we can be sick together tamlin, whaddya say?
smile_n_32.gif
)

Well lets see...my 4th started out with me puking my guts out with what looked like blood til I thought I was going to pass out. Then almost 2 hours in a clinic with urine and blood tests and hooked to an IV drip for dehydration with a bucket nearby. Then the rest of the day in an exhausted stupor. Dr. said bacterial infection in my blood and bladder. The dr. and nurses were all real nice though. As I was staggering back to the bathroom to pee in a cup, one of the nurses was talking about food and I told her "PLEASE don't talk about food!!" UGH.

I stayed home from work today to try get back on my feet. I'm still rather dehydrated...I don't think the rising heat and humidity is helping any. I sweat out what I drink.

So...was it the Fourth of July?
confused.gif

Thanks to William and Andrew for their concern and well wishes.
smile.gif

Pak, we make a good pair!  I have the flu, and an ear infection that makes a 45 degree angle out of a straight line, and spend a lot of waking time sitting (left out the H) on the throne.   I can barely take care of the plants. I even missed the fireworks.

Get well soon, and don't go scaring me like that again!  

Drink, girl.  Do it right now, and keep doing it!

Arg! It stinks all you guys got sick! I hope you feel better soon.

Suzanne, Gatorade is my favorite for rehydration. Love the stuff.

Cripes, was this Independence Day or "Horrible Disease Day?"
Had a picnic at Holmes Lake(actually the hole that was Holmes Lake-they are draining it to dredge and re-do) with friends. Went off my South Beach Diet for this one, lol.
The blew up things for the second day in a row. Including a air vent on the underside of our roof. I decided to impress my kids with some bottle rockets from Missouri and one shot astray and actually blew the grate a little wider. Wife...not happy. the plants that could be bought with fireworks money, but oh well!

Cheers,

Joe

Joe, are they legal there? If so I am envious. I have always had a fondness for explosives, but Big Brother of course is taking care of all of us in NY so no go here. I used to make my own. The finale on that for me was the production of about 15 grams of Nitrogen tri-iodide. If there are any chemists out there, you probably know what that means. I managed to not kill myself, but I did blow a 3 foot x 3 foot hole in the ground, deafening myself for a day. I was 14. I still love them though. Here in Oswego we are fortunate to have the Grucci Brothers display every year at Harborfest. These are the guys who did the Bicentenial display and the Statue of Liberty inagural. Nowadays, that suffices.

I missed seeing any fireworks.
smile_h_32.gif
But I did hear them. The baseball diamond does a spectacular show every 4th that usually I can see from my house. But this time I had no energy to run to the window. I just listened to the big booms and imagined.

Yes sir, Dr. William. I'm working on the fluids. :-/ I just ate real food. Time will tell if it will stay in me or make me sick.

I LOVE fireworks. They are sooo beautiful!

Oh my... I get to be added to the pity crew. I was lighting the large rocket and explode type fireworks (yes they are legal here) and had been hit twice... The third time a rocket failed and it blew up on the ground. I ran looking back, turned around at the last second and hit a tree square on in the face. Or so I am told. I can't remember. I have friends who broke their noses as kids, and they say I should get mine x-rayed. It is crooked and super swollen. What is today? The 7th? Oh my...
confused.gif
smile_l_32.gif

Man, this must be country-wide. I'm getting sick TOO!!!!!!! Woke up with a nasty-feeling throat, and I just KNOW it's from my grandparents, who are sick as well, and seem to get this way every time we go up here to Massachusetts. I need my X-Files. It is what I need in conjunction to Kenny Chesney when I am sick. But it will not be on again until Monday. Stupid freakin' schedule. *sighs*

Ozzy, once again I say, read the latest in my "Farewell forever" topic.

Went to my lakehouse, had a huge party,,, atleast 40 people... went tubing, did some fishing, caught some nice fish, lit of about 600 dolalrs worth of fireworks
biggrin.gif

Cripes, that nasty green lettering is celebration enough
smile.gif

Back