What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, how cold tolerant are pygmies?

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Okay so I am not recommending that everyone go out and do this with their pygmies but I figured that it is always good to share experiences so here we go.

For the Thanksgiving weekend I went down to FL. Anticipating a temperature drop I pulled in all but my Sarrs and VFTs. Well it turns out I accidentally forgot a pot of pygmies. When I returned I found them and started kicking myself, especially after checking my Min/Max thermometer which recorder the low during my away time as 22 degrees. I worried over it a little and brought it inside. As of last night there is green growth on it and it looks like some gemmae are still popping up from the centers. So it seems that pygmies have a fair amount of cold tolerance.

I have some Drosera roseana (I still use the species rank for it) growing in my artificial bog outside here in Bavaria (Germany). After several freezes they are still alive and procucing few gemmae.

Have a look :
moorbeet_Dr_roseana.jpg

These are some tough plants! I have dried the substrate to where it feels like peat from a fresh bale, and the plants (D. ericksoniae x pulchella) have remained dewey. I have grown D. pulchella underwater for months. I have frozen the plants solid, and they have returned and continue to grow, and I have baked them at close to 115F and they thrived. Australian species need to be tough to survive the habitat demands.

The MI Rotudifolia are tuff too (not pigmies but they are tiney). Anyways, I guess nere my school thier is a lake where they live on and underwater, alone the shore, on dead logs, on live trees, everywhere! I think that Sundew really show their adaptiveness as a group, and oviously they have been around a very long time seeing as they are on every continent capible of supporting plant-life. Does anyone know how old they actually are?

Back