What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SNOW in Mississippi

DSCN2380.jpg

DSCN2381.jpg

DSCN2382.jpg

DSCN2383.jpg

DSCN2384.jpg

well, thats my sars buried under the snow

DSCN2385.jpg

DSCN2386.jpg

We don't get a lot of practice building snowmen here

nice :p same here in Texas. Cheers

lol nice snowman. :p

I couldn't make balls to make a traditional snowman. I had to jsut stack it up like a tower. The balls would fall apart when I would try to move them.

The greenhouses were cheap off of ebay, kind of flimsy but they are working pretty well. Humidity is up in them, and once I staked them down so the wind couldn't blow them, they are working out fine. I need more heat, all I'm using is a cheap little space heater. It's supposed to be in the 20s tonight so I'm a little worried about the lowland neps. I don't have room for them in my house, so they are going to have to suffer a bit.

Wow, quite a contrast between climates, here and there.

I am using a "cheap little space heater" and it's working swell.

Actually, the space heater is supposed to heat a whole house, and it's currently getting some warranty repair work, so the back-up oil heater is the one kicking arse.

That's where it went! Please send it back to Buffalo, where it belongs!

my space heaters won't stay on. Something is making them shut themselves off, and I can't figure out what. I went out there at midnight last night and they were still on, but by morning they weren't and the temperature was about 35 in the greenhouse. I guess I'll do the same thing tonight - it's supposed to get even colder, and I need heat in there. I can't figure out what is making them shut off.

The weather report for next week has it warm again. Gotta love Mississippi weather! High today is 47, low next week is high 50s.

wow thats a lot of plants do you ever sell or trade. Love the pics even though it gets colder here we dont get much snow , bout 10 15 inches each year total, used to get large snows when i was younger , 20 or more years ago. its 35 in my green house right now, have to move the last of my orchids in for the winter, dont heat it past december here just too hard , luckily i still havent increased my cp's and orchids past the point of fitting into my house for a couple months, dont think i'll be able to next winter . my cp's are growing on their own, in numbers and sizes. haven't figured out where they are all coming from. LOL

I really hope Florida will get some freak weather and get at least SOME snow...Or one can wish. > >

But I'll most likely see snow again since I'm going to New York and other northern states. But whenever my family and I go up to see snow, it never snows, and when we leave, it snows. Last time I saw real snow (in the U.S. anyways) was in Buffalo, I believe. So if we don't see snow this break, then it's almost certain we're snow repellents. > >

my space heaters won't stay on.
Do you still have the instructions? It may be that your heater isn't rated to be run in really cold temps, perhaps it has to work so hard it overheats the element and it shuts off as a fire-hazard safety measure? The manual for it might mention recommended operating temps somewhere.

It's just a guess though.

It just started snowing here, and you have more then me lol. Also snowmen are easy to make, I suggest you simply put some of your fluffy snow in the freezer for a bit to get the better consistency.

That sounds like my guess, too. I think it's over-worked and is overheating. Just my humble opinion, of course. ;)

it was the power strip i was using. I bought a better one and now they are staying on like they are supposed to. The strip was cutting off because it was having trouble running 2 heaters

Snow in Mississippi is quite unusual isn't it?

Back