What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow already?

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
So I was planning my weekend hiking trip, in the area I usually like to go. It's all quite high, the base altitude is about 9500 ft and extends to over 13500 in this area. So I checked out the NWS site which lets you get a pinpoint forecast by clicking on the map.

Mirror Lake weather

Honestly, it can snow any day of the year there, but I've never seen it actually forecast this early. Cold nights! Looks like the mountains of Colorado are going to get some snow also (above Aspen area). It's still hot down here, in the mid to upper 90s, but it looks like I'll get a good reprieve from this on the weekend!

Global Climate Change is going to be very upset about this!

I move to have "snow" added to the autocensor for the duration of summer

Oh and global disruption is real and only dummies would think otherwise, there's a difference between climate and weather, read a book :D

Burrr. Sounds like a load of fun, I hope you will take pics.

Oh and global disruption is real and only dummies would think otherwise, there's a difference between climate and weather, read a book :D

If realizing that man-made CO2 emissions have nothing to do with global weather patterns makes me a dummy, then call me a dummy. ??? My point is mother nature does what it wants. If it wants to snow in the middle of summer, it will.

When the weather does not agree with the global warming theory, then "there's a difference between climate and weather, read a book."

but when the weather DOES agree with with the global warming theory, then naturally the hot weather is a direct result of climate change..right?

so if its unusually cold, then its just a fluke, and global warming is still true.
but if its unusually hot, then THAT proves global warming is true..
ok, got it.

just trying to keep it all straight! :-))

Scot

I went near a mountain top at June, near the equator, and there was snow.

Yeah I believe it. The access road into this area doesn't even open until the last week of June most years due to snow. I was there last week backpacking, and there is still patches of snow all over. My thermometer I bring with keeps track of the high and low. First night was 38, second was 34. Didn't snow though, just lots of hail and rain. Colors will start changing in two weeks up there. Tons of sphagnum moss up there also, at least above 10000 where it stays cool.

There is even said to be frost at the elevations of N. villosa and it's growing in Borneo, an island that I would burst into flames on the moment I stepped off the plane (I'm not into heat). Altitude makes a big difference.

But there's no denying that man is impacting the environment. Have you seen the olympics? I guess with all the smog maybe you haven't but I definately like to be able to see down the street. That isn't the earth farting rose water out of those smokestacks, that's pollution. The same people who cry about smokers generally don't care about big business smoking up the environment. Of course we need industry if we want to live in a comfortable "civilized" state but there's no reason we can't do it as responsibly as possible and continually improve our efforts. To do otherwise is pure foolishness.

Well said Scot, and well worth often repeating.

Back