What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SNAKE!!!

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
So today a resident called and said they found a snake. So my dad and I went over there to pick it up.. It could just barely not climb out of the 5gal bucket we put it in. I took some pictures of it at the location that we released it.. What is it?
P1010327sized.jpg

if you need full size... I can get one up.
Andrew

yeah put up a full sized one.....................my first thought is some sorta pine snake but im not sure, need a better look at the head...........

Hi rattler :) I have a picture of him in the bucket... Doesn't look as cool as hiding in the brush.. But you can definatly see more. The band across the eyes is pretty neat. Little guy was getting in quite the strike position too. Kinda cute :p

P1010322sized.jpg

P1010327sized1.jpg

dammit man, its Wednesday and it was a LOOOOOOOONG press day for me........just for you though i went down to the basement for my snake books...................its a gopher snake of some sort so my gut feeling was right(gopher snake, pine snake, bullsnake.........all the same Genus) a quick look through my book says that the Sonoran gopher is in your area, Pituophis catenifer affinis prolly what it is but i wont guarentee it 100%

Yes, definitely in that group. I am way out of the herp territories, ect, but I looked up the one Rattler suggested and it looks like a good bet to me.
Very nice looking snake. I have never seen a Pituophis that young. I have to admit..i saw the head first before the body and it looked so ratsnake like, but the body is a clincher.

Cheers,

Joe

ill take adult Pit's over youngins anyday...........so long as it hasnt been harassed by someone all adult(over 3 foot) bullsnakes ive run across are easy to handle.............anything under 3 foot or so have been the nastiest snakes ive run across............they bite and musk at every oppertunity........well maybe not all adult Pit's i know a guy with an adult black pine that will attempt to take you out at every oppertunity.......he tried to sell that demon spawn to me.........but i iz smarter than that :grin:

yeah I was gonna say that it might be a pine snake

haha- thanks for going through *all that trouble* rattler :) It's good to know had I been bit I prolly would have lived haha

back east the Genus is refered to as pine snakes, in the west they are gopher snakes and in the middle there is the bullsnake(which have a HUGE range for a single subspecies)

Definitely a gopher snake. Though a bit hard to see, I noticed it has 4 parietal scales behind the rostral scale. A definite hit for being in the Pituophis group. Too far west for the bullsnake, and WAY outta bounds for a pine snake. Nice catch, and a great mouser. They handle more mice in a season than the best cat hunter.

Back