What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snails?

I keep finding snails in my terrarium. I'm pretty sure they came from the former owner of the tank who kept fish in it. I also believe they are ramshorn snails although I'm somewhat confussed. I thought the snails would be water living (if they came from the former owner) but there is no water in my tank now it is planted.

They do not seem to be hurting the plants, so I'm not worried about them; although I suppose if they over populate it could become a problem. I am mostly just curious. I suppose they could have come in with the peat and be garden type snails, although they sure seem to look like the ramshorn pictures I've seen.

Anyhow, should I be worried? Any thoughts on what kind they are? If ramshorn I take it they are land lovers also?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

If they are garden snails they might eat your plants! I would try doing a google image search, "land snails" and "garden snails", and try to identyfy it...if they are garden snails, remove them from your tank, but keep them, don't kill them, they are fun to raise.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: OH, AND IF YOU REMOVE THEM EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT GARDEN SNAILS, KEEP THEM TOO, THEY'RE FUN TO RAISE

Info on keeping snails as pets:
Caring for Pet Snails
Snails as Pets
It's Fun to Raise Snails

The snales could have came in with other "field plankton" in soil, etc that is in your tank. Keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the replies. I have been through the net to identify which is why I'm pretty sure they are ramshorn. I do not plan to try to remove them all together as of yet as they do not appear to be doing any harm. I mostly am curious as to their land living abilities if they are really water living type. They are cool to watch and as long as they don't get too overpopulated it should be ok. If things get too bad, I'll just have to find a snail eating frog that can co-habitat with the Anole that already lives there. But thats a story for another thread LOL

Thanks again,

Why not just pick up a blue tongue skink as snails are their prefered diet in the wild and captivity. One thing i must say is that those WILL reproduce like mad and WILL build there population to pest proportions. Id suggest you take appropriate action and kill them all with some form of copper application before its too late.

Peace

Thanks Khai,

Will research the skink you mentioned. Will it be ok in an Anole tank (55 gal) and a ton of crickets (my tank is a great breeding ground)?

Thanks again

If they are ramshorns, you will never be rid of them. Don't bother with pesticides, they will probably end up returning from eggs anyways. They reproduce quickly, but if you don't give them too much food (they love fishfood, unfortunately), and pick them out of the tank every month, they shouldn't cause any damage to anything. I have noticed them occasionally climbing out of the water in a fishtank. I actually keep a bunch in my lizards water dish, as they are very good at keeping the algae down in it.

Should be fine in the anole tank, but by the sounds of it, if you slighlty reduce the humdity, the snail population might decline.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Jan. 14 2003,02:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If they are garden snails they might eat your plants! I would try doing a google image search, "land snails" and "garden snails", and try to identyfy it...if they are garden snails, remove them from your tank, but keep them, don't kill them, they are fun to raise.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: OH, AND IF YOU REMOVE THEM EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT GARDEN SNAILS, KEEP THEM TOO, THEY'RE FUN TO RAISE

Info on keeping snails as pets:
Caring for Pet Snails
Snails as Pets
It's Fun to Raise Snails [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ummmm... Spectabilis? You didn't need to edit that into your post... you already had it there LOL
tounge.gif

I wouldnt add a Blue tongue to an anole tank unless you want it to become a blue tongue skink tank.
Peace

Wow, love all the feedback, Thanks everyone

Have looked for info on blue tounged skink and pretty much concluded would not mix in Anole Tank.

Snails love fishfood----well that explains it, fishflakes are the secret ingredient in the cricket food, so there is always some in there.

I will remove the snails as I see them and will keep an eye out for a population explosion. There still does not appear to be damage to the plants so I'm not going to fret and worry over it.

Thanks again all, love the feedback.

Don't worry about a population explosion. If they are water snails,their eggs cant hatch in a dry enviorment. And if they are land snails,simple-just look under things in the terrarium and remove their small,pearly white eggs. I would put them in the freezer if you don't want them to hatch.
sad.gif

Go here for all the information you could want apple snails

I wouldn't call the environment dry; more like moist--it gets a pretty good spray on a daily basis. I'm pretty sure eggs are hatching as I find them in all sizes from pretty small to still small but bigger (LOL). I find them pretty frequent, this AM there was at least 4 in the dish for crickett food, these guys are now history. It still doesn't seem to be a problem though, so I don't worry about them, just remove them as I find them. Thanks for the thoughts.

Back