What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small seedling

Hi guys!

Once upon a time, I received some seeds packets from some among you, I then lovingly sowed them in pots and placed them in plastic bags, hoping to see them see the light of day.

In the beginning, all was well, they sprouted and grew to be cute seedlings, green and red, growing steadily less small.

But since some time now, it feels like they have stopped progressing, they are still looking healthy enough, but there is hardly any growth to be noticed...

I tried feeding them a bit, with little change.
Something I should do?

Thanks.

Cath, I am six months ahead of you with this phenomenon. I, too, experienced the same. It just takes a long time for them to achieve maturity. Also, if your plants are receiving window sill light, this time of year is giving them reduced photoperiod. Just stick to the basics and slowly, subtley, they will grow.

LOL Sorry Cath, but them's the breaks, the first step from nothing to something is fun, but it really does seem that the step from "something" to REALLY something tkaes forever
biggrin.gif

I was feeling the same way.....
It's funny, my plants under lights, while having tons of dew and really nice colours, aren't anywhere near as large as my windowsill ones (Guess what, the 'sill growing plants are D.tokaiensis, and they are, some of them at least, 1.5 cm across, I could almost take leaf cuttings and expect limited success)

I think the ones I have inder my lights are too close to the bulbs, or maybe are getting a bit too much light, just minutes ago I moved the bulbs up by around 3 inches and I'll tell you how that goes.... considering I have D.tokaiensis sown at the same time from the same seeds with such obvious discrepancies in appearance, there's clearly something more to it than co-incidence.....

Could be a possibility, mine are close to a super-bright bulb as well, hum... I thought that giving them a lot of light was a good thing...
Guess I'll try to push the light back a bit and see what happens.

It's slooooow.
I knew that have no patience whatsoever was a flaw in gardening ;).

Are they tightly packed in their pot? If so, you could transplant them at a certains distance from each others, it can help a lot since seedlings seems to 'stunt' if they don't have enough 'space' for growing.

Some are, some aren't.
And all of them are small.

Can't be humidity either since many among them are still sealed in plastic bags.
I talked to mabudon about it too, we believe it might be that they "don't have to stretch" since light is too readily available.

Back