What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Pot Issue

I have a Small Nepenthes that I got about a month ago. And it's in a 1 or 2 inch round pot. It is just a little plant now, however, if I wanted it to grow, should I re-pot it now? or wait for it to make some pitchers before I start to think about it. I know it's only been a short while, but I feel like it would do a lot better in a larger one. Also, the leaves are browing, and I don't know why, I don't have a photo right now, but I might be able to get one tomorrow if my camera works. Thanks for your help!

Yeah take a picture of it, It'll be easier to judge. It might not need the repotting, but a change of the media. I always change it, so that I have controll over how old the media is. Generally, with the exception of a few, nepenthes roots are quite small, so usually small containers shouldn't be a problem untill it has gained some size.

What kind of Nepenthes is it?

It's an Orange Sanguinea. It only has about 5 leaves, and I think you might be right, it's probably good for now. Some of the leaves are turning brown, and it kind of worries me. Maybe I might just re-pot to get the media right. I wish I could take a good photo, but my camera is a piece of crap, and I wouldn't be able to show the detail the way that I want. Mayhaps I'll use my friends camera and get back to you.

From what I understand, lowlanders generally need more root space than highlanders do, though I'm sure there are exceptions. You could always carefully pull the soil ball out of the pot to see if the plant is root-bound, and just drop the whole thing into a larger pot with new soil packed around it if the plant looks like it needs more space and the soil is in good shape.

That might be the reason why I'm finding it difficult to handle. I was not aware that it was a lowland species. I'll have to give a special spot I suppose. Thanks for the tip nimbulan!

That might be the reason why I'm finding it difficult to handle. I was not aware that it was a lowland species. I'll have to give a special spot I suppose. Thanks for the tip nimbulan!
I didn't mean to imply that - N. sanguinea is a highland species. I believe it is a pretty easy grower as well considering it is widely distributed to non-CP nurseries.

Yeah, nimbulans tips about just potting up is and just tucking som media around worked for me. I do believe i have an Sanguinea bought under the name N. Alata, which is the only nep I've actually done that with. But i potted up not because i thought the roots were root-bound but because it was easier to keep moist. But it was into it's vining stage at that point. It's pretty hardy.

The browning could be a number of things, from it being waterlodged to some kind of fungal or bacterial infection to too little/much of the basic things like water, sunlight, too dry etc. Or it could be nothing. If it's the first leaves that turns brown it probably is just adjusting. If it's the new leaves and/or the stem then there's trouble up ahead. Put up a pic and we'll see!

Z

Nepenthes sanguinea is a real trooper, a healthy starter plant should have no problems with being repotted or being left alone if the media is fresh. I have the typical orange clone from Agristarts 3 in a 3.5" square pot (that it's been in for many years) and has grown into a nice vine and has several foot-wide basals, there's really no stopping them once they get going.

Back